Air Traffic Monitoring > Listener Forum

Boston request

<< < (2/2)

dave:

--- Quote from: JetScan1 ---Thanks dave,

Your reception of aircraft is pretty good on these high altitude frequencies. Unfortunately with the low sectors being scanned at the same time, and being very busy, you are probably missing over 50% of the transmissions on the high sectors.

Personally I think it's better to scan only a few frequencies at a time, otherwise you end up missing so much in each sector that it becomes sort of pointless. But that's just my opinion. So I'd say it would be better to either monitor the high sectors or the low sectors, but not both at the same time.

Perhaps a solution would be to concentrate on a certain area or sector for a given time, swithing periodically (weekly, monthly?) between frequency banks scanned ? Anyway just a suggestion, I realise it could be more time consuming for the radio operators.

One of these days I'll get around to setting up a node myself. Keep up the good work. Cheers.

JetScan1
--- End quote ---

That could be, but I just don't have the resources to put anything else on line by itself right now.  Also, I prefer that both sides of a conversation can be heard, at leasy for anything that I put on myself.  Hearing one side of the conversation is way less than interesting.

Also, with much of this high altitude traffic, there isn't a hell of a lot going on.  I almost had some feeder volunteers near those transmitters but they kind of dropped off the face of the earth so I was never able to get those sectors online.  Maybe some day.

As to scheduled transmissions, I can't really do that because these two particular low altitude sectors are local to me and I prefer to have them on 24/7.  If someone were to donate a receiver to the cause, or donate money towards an additional receiver, I'd be glad to run whatever they request.

-Dave

dave:

--- Quote from: JetScan1 ---dave,

Okay no problem, in that case it would be better if you just ran the low sectors only, like you had it before.

I'd be interested in donating a radio if I had control of the frequencies. What sort of ballpark price are we looking at here ?

JetScan1
--- End quote ---

A scanner and associated cables can be had for under $80 USD.  I typically get Bearcat BC350A's from eBay...they range from $60-$80 USD and then $5-$15 for cables.

-Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version