airtraffic

Author Topic: Best place to view A-380 up close.  (Read 20417 times)

Offline papa-gaga

Best place to view A-380 up close.
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:06:37 PM »
Hi, I'm new here, so If this Is the wrong spot to post this question, my apologies. I am planning a trip to either LAX, or JFK the end of this month, and was just wandering which Is the best to see a A380? I would like to see one up close through the terminal window If at all possible. I will be flying In on a regular domestic flight, so I don't know If It would be possible to walk from inside one terminal to another, or ride tram from one to another to be able to see this aircraft. Someone with info on both airports please help me with this. Thank you.

Offline w0x0f

Re: Best place to view A-380 up close.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »
I hear the horizontal stabilizer of a regional jet offers an up close view.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 09:33:23 AM »
:lol:  :roll:

alltheway

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 02:43:02 PM »
Working at one in summer holliday at the factory will do.... :evil: :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 06:33:26 PM by alltheway »

Offline cptbrw

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 05:29:46 PM »
Well, the 380's are all flying international flights so it'll be tough to get an up close and personal look at one from the domestic terminals ate either JFK or LAX.  Having said that, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that you might get a decent view from one of the adjoining domestic terminals.  Timing might be another matter as they don't tend to spend a lot of time on the ground.

Offline atcman23

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 06:01:24 PM »

Yeah Taxiway Mike at JFK will give you a real close up view.

Offline papa-gaga

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 06:10:28 PM »
Okay thank you, where Is taxiway Mike located? What terminal Is near It, or Is there a road nearby with a view?

Offline atcman23

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 06:28:19 PM »
Located at John F. Kennedy Intl. Airport near Terminal 2.  There is a road really close by with a great view, but you'll need to be an airport employee to get on to that road. (see attached graphic; blue dotted line indicates the roadway).

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 08:08:26 PM »

AH!  Beat me to the punch.  I was going to say last row of a Comair -700

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 08:09:53 PM »
Okay thank you, where Is taxiway Mike located? What terminal Is near It, or Is there a road nearby with a view?

(that was a joke)

If you're in JFK, outside of the terminals, I hear there's a park somewhere in the bay that has a pretty nice view, especially when departing 31L.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 09:08:04 PM »
I caught a Qantas A380 resting between flights as we left KLAX. These pics were taken during our takeoff roll. The tail number is too fuzzy to read...VH-OQG??

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:57:43 PM by joeyb747 »

Offline tyketto

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 03:09:44 AM »
I caught a Qantas A380 resting between flights as we left KLAX. These pics were taken during our takeoff roll. The tail number is too fuzzy to read...VH-OQG??

Enjoy!

Which brings in the best place to spot it at LAX. In-n-Out or Imperial Hill will be your best bet there, as IIRC, QFA flights tend to use the north side of the field (24s). So that may be your best bet until KAL and SIA start their A380 service stateside. When they don't patrol it, Sandpiper may be a good place as well.

BL.

Offline papa-gaga

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 05:59:58 PM »

Enjoy!
Those are great pictures, It looks like either B or G. I'm pretty certain I'm going to LAX, That way I can go to the beach down the road from the airport. I will probably fly Southwest myself, their rates are just very hard to beat. Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:01:46 PM by papa-gaga »

Offline tyketto

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 03:47:00 AM »

Enjoy!
Those are great pictures, It looks like either B or G. I'm pretty certain I'm going to LAX, That way I can go to the beach down the road from the airport. I will probably fly Southwest myself, their rates are just very hard to beat. Thank you.

If you're going to LAX, then definitely hit up In-N-Out on Sepulveda Blvd, Imperial Hill, Sandpiper (caveat: Police routinely patrol here), and the Proud Bird. The Bird gets you the best view on the south side of the field, just south of the PAPIs and REILs for the 25s.

BL.

Offline papa-gaga

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 06:27:35 PM »
Well, I am going to make my reservations, and purchase tickets next week, I'm going to LAX. What runway do they usually bring the Qantas A380 in on, and takeoff from? I would like to possibly meet up with some fellow plane spotters to get to the best spots. Thank you again, I appreciate all the feedback.

Offline Marty Becker

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 09:28:16 PM »
If you can ever make it to Zürich, the observation deck in the E-Terminal (midfield) is a good spot.

http://www.spotterswiki.com/index.php?title=Zurich_Airport

The Singapore A380 parks on the west end of the E-Terminal, same end as the deck.

Example videos:

Offline tyketto

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 12:33:02 AM »
Well, I am going to make my reservations, and purchase tickets next week, I'm going to LAX. What runway do they usually bring the Qantas A380 in on, and takeoff from? I would like to possibly meet up with some fellow plane spotters to get to the best spots. Thank you again, I appreciate all the feedback.

QFA likes to enter ZLA at ELKEY, putting them squarely on the SADDE6 into the field. That puts them into the north complex, traffic permitting. If they come in on that (most of the time they do), In-n-Out on Sepulveda will be your best place.

BL.

Offline bluecrewfan08

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 02:30:57 PM »

QF12 ( the A380) inbound from Sydney daily at or around 9:45 am, lands on the 24's. The In n Out Burger viewing park is an excellent way to see it.  Also later on after landing, you can get some great shots of it parked from the apartment complex parking lot directly to the north of the parking stands. It will be there for about 12 hours

QF11, it's departing flight doesn't leave till about 1130pm, and I BELIEVE is uses the 25's. Could be wrong about that. Might still use 24R. Would depend on weather, and when they turn the pattern around. Have been out there that late to see.

BCF

Offline papa-gaga

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 03:29:50 PM »

QF12 ( the A380) inbound from Sydney daily at or around 9:45 am, lands on the 24's. The In n Out Burger viewing park is an excellent way to see it.  Also later on after landing, you can get some great shots of it parked from the apartment complex parking lot directly to the north of the parking stands. It will be there for about 12 hours

QF11, it's departing flight doesn't leave till about 1130pm, and I BELIEVE is uses the 25's. Could be wrong about that. Might still use 24R. Would depend on weather, and when they turn the pattern around. Have been out there that late to see.

BCF
Great info, I certainly appreciate It. I am In the process of making plans to come out there. So far Frontier Airlines rates are looking good.

Offline brendan512

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 11:48:57 PM »
If you're looking to view one that's parked, go to western side of airport, take Pershing to World Way West, just keep going down it past the old offices and construction.  I rode a bike and would recommend it.  Thought it would make me less suspicious looking.  You can get so close that it seems like you must be trespassing to be there, but there aren't any signs and literally 3-4 police cars cruised by in the half hour I was there and didn't seem to mind.  The Qantas was there just chillin.  This was back in mid-Jan.  Good luck!

Google map link:  http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=33.943106,-118.41551&spn=0.002826,0.004683&t=h&z=18

(Note that the Google maps sat view is outdated.  There's a tunnel and stuff you have to go through now.)

And check this out too, a recent pic of the spot I'm talking about:  http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=1033317
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:21:43 AM by brendan512 »

Offline eastern tristar

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 04:25:04 PM »
Well, I am going to make my reservations, and purchase tickets next week, I'm going to LAX.

Was another visitor just scared off from visiting NY?  We really are a nice place to visit, and most of us are very friendly, once you get our humor.... :-)

Offline papa-gaga

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 05:36:43 PM »
Well, I am going to make my reservations, and purchase tickets next week, I'm going to LAX.

Was another visitor just scared off from visiting NY?  We really are a nice place to visit, and most of us are very friendly, once you get our humor.... :-)
No, my next trip out will be to the big Apple. I have really been wanting to see a A380 In the Qantas livery for a long time, and I just decided this time to go West, but I do look forward to coming to New York In the near future. I have never been to either city or state.

Offline papa-gaga

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 05:46:10 PM »
If you're looking to view one that's parked, go to western side of airport, take Pershing to World Way West, just keep going down it past the old offices and construction.  I rode a bike and would recommend it.  Thought it would make me less suspicious looking.  You can get so close that it seems like you must be trespassing to be there, but there aren't any signs and literally 3-4 police cars cruised by in the half hour I was there and didn't seem to mind.  The Qantas was there just chillin.  This was back in mid-Jan.  Good luck!

Google map link:  http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=33.943106,-118.41551&spn=0.002826,0.004683&t=h&z=18Thank you Brendan, that Is just the info I'm looking for. I have other plans once I'm there to see other stuff like the beach, and Marina Del Ray, but I think the absolute highlight of my trip will be to see the A380 In those beautiful Qantas colors, to bad the Singapore A380, and the Korean Air A380 Is not there yet, because I want to see them to. I live In OKC, and about the biggest thing that comes In here Is a FedEx A300-6, and UPS 757, other than that a good bunch of Southwest 737's, and a few other nice smaller birds as well. Thank you again, and I'll try and get to this location.

(Note that the Google maps sat view is outdated.  There's a tunnel and stuff you have to go through now.)

And check this out too, a recent pic of the spot I'm talking about:  http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=1033317

Offline bluecrewfan08

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 10:40:47 PM »

Google map link:  http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=33.943106,-118.41551&spn=0.002826,0.004683&t=h&z=18

Just to clarify..that picture was taken from the air, not from Pershing/World Way.

BCF

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 08:40:01 PM »

Just to clarify..that picture was taken from the air, not from Pershing/World Way.

BCF

In the pics I posted of the A380, it's sitting on the same ramp...just taken from the opposite side... 8-)

Neat pic btw...