Author Topic: Barix Instreamer 100 - interesting streaming box  (Read 26742 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Barix Instreamer 100 - interesting streaming box
« on: February 22, 2009, 03:49:13 PM »
Here is an interesting little box from Barix (Swiss company):

http://www.barix.com/Instreamer/301/

Here is one source:

http://www.proaudio.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=313&products_id=4153

It handles one stream only and will broadcast to Icecast or Shoutcast servers.  Small, though.  Good for a single feed in a tight physical space.

The systems we put together from cheap PC's and Delta 1010LT cards are cheaper for high density installs but this is an interesting product for some applications.

Dave

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
Re: Barix Instreamer 100 - interesting streaming box
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:20:41 PM »
Here's what has to be the ultimate in space saving.

It's a linux server not much bigger than a plug-in air freshener. Features a 1200 MHz CPU, built-in 512 MB Flash, 512 MB DRAM, Gigabit Ethernet and USB 2.0 support, and consumes about 5 watts max.  Eventual target price is $49.

Combine that with a USB audio adapter and I believe you'll have yourself a perfect little streamer for well under $100.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 12:22:55 PM by Biff »

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 04:54:09 PM »
Hi Dave..

We use the Barix boxes here at CBC for streaming our radio on-line.

We purchased about 30 of them, and are rolling them out right now. These are actually replacing our windows xp boxes that we have across Canada.

Offline Marty Becker

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 09:32:50 PM »
Dave:

I'd be interested in setting up a feed in the Chicago (O'Hare) area.  My only problem is that I would have to locate my scanner on my second floor and my computer is down in my basement, along with my wireless router ( Apple - Airport Extreme). I cannot, at this time, setup a external antenna.  My scanner, a Sony Wavehawk ICF-SC1 with a RH77CA HT mobile antenna, picks up certain Chicago ATC facility frequencies in Aurora, IL very well. Even some O'Hare Tower frequencies are good, although you already have a feed for O'Hare Tower. Is there a means of getting the audio from my scanner, wirelessly, to my basement?  I thought after seeing this post regarding the Barix Instreamer 100 that I could wirelessly feed the Barix Instreamer 100, which I could then connect to my router for a continuous connection to the Internet.  Is this a viable implementation, or do I need to include PC, which I currently do not leaving running 24/7?

Thanks!

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 12:09:18 AM »
Dave:

I'd be interested in setting up a feed in the Chicago (O'Hare) area.  My only problem is that I would have to locate my scanner on my second floor and my computer is down in my basement, along with my wireless router ( Apple - Airport Extreme). I cannot, at this time, setup a external antenna.  My scanner, a Sony Wavehawk ICF-SC1 with a RH77CA HT mobile antenna, picks up certain Chicago ATC facility frequencies in Aurora, IL very well. Even some O'Hare Tower frequencies are good, although you already have a feed for O'Hare Tower. Is there a means of getting the audio from my scanner, wirelessly, to my basement?  I thought after seeing this post regarding the Barix Instreamer 100 that I could wirelessly feed the Barix Instreamer 100, which I could then connect to my router for a continuous connection to the Internet.  Is this a viable implementation, or do I need to include PC, which I currently do not leaving running 24/7?

Thanks!

The Barix could certainly work, but you would need a wireless Ethernet bridge to connect the Barix to your WiFi network.  This is probably more expense than you might want to incur, though.

Another option is a hack that could involve a modified baby monitor to transmit your receiver audio down to the basement.  The audio from the base station for the baby monitor could be tapped and fed to Line In on the basement computer.

Dave

Offline Marty Becker

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 07:13:56 AM »
>> The Barix could certainly work, but you would need a wireless Ethernet bridge to connect the Barix to your WiFi network.  This is probably more expense than you might want to incur, though.

My hope was to use a "wireless" solution for the audio from the scanner to the Barix so that I could plug the Barix device into next to my router and connect the two via an ethernet cable.  Is that possible?

I know that the computer is the other option, but as i said in my other post, I do not leave my computer running 24/7.

Thanks!

Offline Andrew Kazantsev

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 05:04:50 AM »
I suggest you to see my alternative solution on my site http://barixa.net
You can use iPod touch 8GB ($199) instead any expensive Barix HW. Just now my SW "Bari EX free" is already in App Store. Try on any iPhone/iPod and comment...

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 08:17:43 AM »
You can use iPod touch 8GB ($199) instead any expensive Barix HW. Just now my SW "Bari EX free" is already in App Store. Try on any iPhone/iPod and comment...

Very cool!  Will try it out.

Offline VK2GEL

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 08:36:55 AM »
Andrew can you please suggest any other alternative to Barix, maybe like Slingbox or CCTV server with audio like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/IP-9100A-Video-Server-Internet-Network-Security-4-port_W0QQitemZ360222155091QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53dee9e153

Just trying to avoid having a PC at a remote scanner site.

Thanks.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 08:40:51 AM »

Do you have an Instreamer equivalent that works on the iPod Touch?  The EX solution is neat but not what is most interesting our application here.

Offline Andrew Kazantsev

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 05:37:26 AM »
Of course, iPod touch 8GB could be used instead Instreamer 100 too (I plan to write this SW) however I still could not see standard Apple audio input Cables & Docks in Apple Store (although dock connector has audio inputs). Maybe anybody knows where could such accessories be found?

Offline turbaurbana

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 04:26:07 AM »
Hi. Im a university student from Puerto Rico. We have a free radio project called Radio Huelga (http://ustream.tv/channel/radiohuelga).

We are designing some portable solution to send a audio stream from a backpack carried by our news reporters. The idea is to use solar energy combined with a rechargeable battery. To lower cots, we are going to make our own mixer and asamble all the parts.

But the problem is in the internet streaming area. We already have the audio figure out, but still looking for a affordable solution. We need to connect the audio output from the mixer to a encoder and then stream it to the internet, for what we have wifi and usb internet cards.

I like the Barix Instreamer, but have 2 problems. First, is to expensive. All our work is voluntary and the radio station is a students non-commercual proyect. Second, we would need to connect to internet, and the instreamer donĀ“t support wifi, so we would have to use more equipment (router, etc.).

Is there another way to do this? Other hardware? How can I stream from an iphone or a iPod?

Thanks in advance.

Ricardo Olivero

PD. Sorry for my english!

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 09:55:15 PM »
Ricardo-

I am not aware of a way to do this from the iPhone or iPad.  Perhaps you could get the Barix folks to donate one for your research?

Dave