airtraffic

Author Topic: BA flights...  (Read 8146 times)

Offline Neil

BA flights...
« on: September 21, 2005, 11:10:07 AM »
I used the site here to track the atc out of Philly for a flight my Father was on from PHL to Heathrow, London on British Airways. I couldnt make out what the BA callsign is when either the controller or the pilot said it...does anyone know??

Offline MIAMIATC

BA flights...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 11:32:35 AM »
SPEEDBIRD

Offline Neil

BA flights...
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 07:28:16 PM »
Interesting. Any idea of the origin of that?

Offline Jonathan_tcu

BA flights...
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 07:54:53 PM »
Yeah!  I hear Speedbird on Montreal 133.97 and never heard of them!  I used to hear Zipper air, but they disappeared.  I'd be curious to know too.

Offline danielvs

BA flights...
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 08:29:27 PM »
Quote from: Neil
Interesting. Any idea of the origin of that?

A little bit of history, extracted from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedbird

Speedbird is a callsign used by British Airways during air traffic control procedures, as well as the name for the famous stylized British Overseas Airways Corporation logo.

The logo was first used by one of BOAC's predecessor companies, Imperial Airways, debuting in 1932. A simple, yet rather avante garde design, it appeared on the nose section of the company's aircraft. With the creation of BOAC in 1939, the logo was retained, and still appeared on aircraft throughout World War II, despite the military-style camoflage that replaced the livery.

The logo became far more prominent under BOAC, appearing on the tailfin as well as the nose section, and later enlarged and coloured gold during the 1960s. With the advent of air traffic control and the adoption of call signs to identify aircraft and their operators, BOAC chose the name of their logo to represent their aircraft in the air - Speedbird.

In 1974, BOAC was merged with British European Airways to form British Airways. The speedbird logo was retained, unaltered, but moved back to the nose section of the company's aircraft, with a prominent Union Flag design taking up the tailfin. The 'Speedbird' callsign was also retained for the new combined national carrier.

As British Airways prepared for privatisation, a new corporate look was adopted in 1984, which included altering the appearance of the Speedbird logo for the first time. Referred to as the Speedwing, it became a red flash on the lower dark blue part of the fuselage, though still bearing a resemblence to the original 1930s design. Another corporate identity revamp in 1997, saw the logo evolve once more. Now a stylised red and blue "whoosh", somewhat akin to a trailing ribbon, it is officially known as the Speedmarque. Some controversy surrounded the new BA look in 1997, which initially saw the introduction of a multitude of ethnic "world design" tailfins replace the Union Flag on all aircraft except Concorde, however the spirit of the Speedbird survived.

In addition to the standard Speedbird callsign, Concorde flights added Concorde to notify Air Traffic Control of the aircraft's unique abilities and restrictions. The Flight numbers of the BA Concorde flights were 001–004; BA Concordes therefore used callsigns Speedbird Concorde 1 through Speedbird Concorde 4. With the retirement of Concorde those flight numbers are now unused. French Concordes used the standard "Air France" callsign.

"Speedbird" continues to be used by British Airways as a call sign to the present day, though domestic services from London Heathrow to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Manchester use the call sign "Shuttle". BA subsidiary company British Airways Citiexpress uses British as its call sign, and BA franchise operators continue to use their own call signs, despite operating BA flights.

Offline Neil

BA flights...
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 12:31:00 PM »
Interesting, Thankyou.... :D