airtraffic

Author Topic: KCDW only feeding pilot's side of transmission  (Read 5183 times)

Offline N62529

KCDW only feeding pilot's side of transmission
« on: November 07, 2005, 07:55:55 AM »
I understand the person running the KCDW feed reads this forum so I'll ask a bit more directly.

Why is it that when the feed first went up, I could hear both sides of all transmissions on 119.8, but now can only hear the pilot's side. I understand that sometimes atmospheric conditions can have an effect, but for the last week or so it has been constantly pilot's transmissions only. This really takes the 'f' out of fun and makes me not want to listen.

Has the tower reduced their power recently? What gives?   :cry:

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 08:05:41 AM »
http://www.liveatc.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

..Edited out to not confuse others...

The CDW feeder has the rest of the info, but I live to the east of him and conditions outside of KHPN aren't so great either.

Jason

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 08:54:08 AM »
Yes, but the distances involved here are too close for tropospheric conditions to play a role.  It is more likely just antenna placement, weak signals, or excessive man-made noise.

Dave

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 09:08:07 AM »
Quote from: dave
Yes, but the distances involved here are too close for tropospheric conditions to play a role.  It is more likely just antenna placement, weak signals, or excessive man-made noise.

Dave

Ah,ok--I can't recall how far the feeder is from the field so my bad.  It varies though I think from day to day.  There are many variables involved in these situations.

Offline sean

On "Atmospheric Conditions"
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 02:10:29 PM »
One other thing to keep in mind...  with the exception of some rare phenomena, "atmospheric conditions" are going to INCREASE propagation distances rather than decreasing them.  Further, these events will typically last hours rather than days, especially in the high VHF range, as opposed to the very atmospherically dependant HF range.  

As Dave has correctly pointed out, this sounds more like an "external condition" than the atmosphere.  The variability from day to day is yet another pointer to some man-made issue.

--Sean