Author Topic: ARFF/CFR alert levels  (Read 54046 times)

Offline cessna157

• facebook
ARFF/CFR alert levels
« on: February 09, 2008, 04:49:39 PM »
PHL-Apprch, FHolbert, or anyone else know what the alert levels or ARFF are?  I know that they go Alert 1 (aircraft in distress?) to Alert 3 (aircraft has crashed).  Does anyone know how many levels there are, and what each is defined as?

Offline Hollis

Re: ARFF/CFR alert levels
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 11:55:22 PM »
TERMINOLOGY

Aircraft emergencies are broken down into three categories: Alert 1, Alert 2 and Alert 3. These categories are defined by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to provide standard descriptions and terminology for aircraft emergencies.

Alert 1: Indicates an aircraft is having minor difficulties (i.e., minor oil leak; one engine out on a three- or four-engine commercial aircraft or one engine out on a two-engine general aviation aircraft; fire warning lights; etc.). A safe landing is expected.

Alert 2: Indicates that an aircraft is having major difficulties (i.e., a positive indication of fire on board the aircraft; faulty landing gear; no hydraulic pressure; engine failure on a two-engine large aircraft; etc.). A difficult or crash landing may be expected.

Alert 3: Indicates that an aircraft has crashed on or off the airport, or there is a high probability the aircraft will crash, or the pilot has indicated that the aircraft landing gear will not work and, therefore, the pilot will have to crash land on the airport.

Offline Hollis

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 12:22:26 AM »
Just to follow up -
This is an Alert 3 level situation.
(And yes, that's me in the right seat!)

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 05:05:39 AM »
Haha, thanks for the info.  That was exactly what I was looking for.

On the picture......I think you may have missed something in your before landing checklist....just a guess though.

That a Metro?

Offline bogman

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 07:34:46 PM »
Just to follow up -
This is an Alert 3 level situation.
(And yes, that's me in the right seat!)
This may be a stupid question but what caused the failure for the landing gear :?

Offline Hollis

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 08:52:46 PM »
cessna157 - Yes, a Metro III.
And no, I didn't miss a thing on the BL checklist. In fact I added quite a few!!

bogman - The problem was that the RH main gear doors jammed in the full up position when I retracted the gear after lift-off. Nothing we tried made any difference. So after much 'consultation' while spending hours burning off most of our full load of fuel, we opted to dead-stick it gear up down the runway centerline. Worked like a charm!

Offline bogman

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 05:58:29 PM »

bogman - The problem was that the RH main gear doors jammed in the full up position when I retracted the gear after lift-off. Nothing we tried made any difference. So after much 'consultation' while spending hours burning off most of our full load of fuel, we opted to dead-stick it gear up down the runway centerline. Worked like a charm!

It great to see it worked out for you , must have been nerve wrecking for you.

I prusume the aircraft was written off.