airtraffic

Author Topic: AF447 Black Boxes Located  (Read 6052 times)

KHAOS

AF447 Black Boxes Located
« on: May 06, 2010, 01:40:07 PM »
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/05/06/2892426.htm

The French navy has located the flight recorders of the Air France jet that crashed in the Atlantic almost a year ago, but retrieving them may be an impossible mission, officials said.

The recorders have been localised with a margin of error of three nautical miles (five kilometres) in a remote area of the Atlantic Ocean.

But French military officials cautioned the breakthrough did not mean the black boxes will be successfully retrieved from the ocean floor.

Offline VampyreGTX

• The Aspiring Pilot
Re: AF447 Black Boxes Located
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 01:48:38 PM »
Misleading headline and story IMHO.  The black boxes have in essence NOT been located, but their location has theoretically been calculated within 3 square miles based on computer simulations of the wreckage mapped by the prior submersible scans. 

Offline mlanger

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 03:46:26 PM »
VERY misleading. Do you know how big three square miles is? Now put that area on the ocean floor and start your search. I'd be very surprised if they were ever found.

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 04:01:03 PM »
No kidding.  Just like I "found" my car keys because I know they're somewhere in my neighborhood.

I hope they really do find them, though.

Cap747

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 04:05:06 PM »
Like the survey for the Titanic   if they use a vessel with a deep sonar attached to a cable than for three miles they need a cable of 12 miles and that's going to make a huge sweep and takes months for zigzagging that area... If they want to use a submarine I guess it's no different...