airtraffic

Author Topic: Anyone here remember the Tenerife accident?  (Read 8129 times)

Offline RIVERSMVP09

Anyone here remember the Tenerife accident?
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:42:22 PM »
Who do you think was mostly to blame?

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
Re: Anyone here remember the Tenerife accident?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 11:47:18 PM »
Crews of KLM .

Offline RIVERSMVP09

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 11:49:43 PM »
I agree I think it was 80% KLM 20% the other two.

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 11:55:23 PM »
Yea, and like any other aviation accidents and incidents, this accident made aviation safer, one of the most important accident in aviation history.

Offline RV1

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 09:02:32 PM »
I agree I think it was 80% KLM 20% the other two.
I would have a hard time giving any blame to the other crew aside from being in the wrong place at the wrong time and not being able to see the taxiway. There's a documentary on this tragedy, and, going by what was explained, there are a few things to note:
    The KLM captain was trying to not let too much time pass, thereby grounding his crew and putting the passengers up in a hotel.
    He took on a full compliment of fuel for the NEXT leg of his flight, reducing the turnaround time when he got to land at the intended destination.
    He attempted to takeoff without a clearance from the tower and at least once was stopped by his own first officer.
    He knew that there was another aircraft on the runway, as was told to him by the tower, the other crew and his own crew, and yet decided, on his own, that they must be off the runway and therefore it was clear and time to go.
    He knew that due to the large amount of traffic that had been diverted there, that the taxiways were blocked and full of airplanes, the ramp was full of planes and it was foggy.

I'm not trying to blame a dead man, but I am trying to NOT blame another dead man.

Offline RIVERSMVP09

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 01:50:36 AM »
after thinking it over I say 90% KLM pilot for the reasons you stated,  but the Pan Am should have asked about the turnoff.

Offline bibi

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 06:18:03 AM »
"While the KLM crew had started its take-off roll, the tower instructed the Pan Am crew to "report when runway clear". The crew replied: "OK, we'll report when we're clear". On hearing this, the KLM flight engineer expressed his concern about the Pan Am not being clear of the runway by asking the pilots, "Is he not clear, that Pan American?". However, the captain, focused on the takeoff and under the impression that they had take-off clearance, emphatically replied "oh, yes" and continued with the take-off." (Wikipedia)

Better safe (ask) than sorry (crash) :)

Offline Maja

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 09:55:17 AM »

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 08:07:11 PM »
March 27, 1977. The language barrier played a big part in that. The KLM Captain, Van Zant if im correct, was the chief 747 pilot at the time for KLM. KLM 4805 (B747-206B PH-BUF) taxied down the runway, and turned around. Van Zant keyed the mic. "We are at take-off." was the transmission. To witch the tower simply replied "roger." Van Zant took that to mean they could go. These were the days before Crew Resource Managment. And you didn't question the Captain if you wanted to keep your job. Especially the Chief Pilot on the Boeing 747! Van Zant powered up, the engineer questioned if Pan Am was clear. Van Zant stoped the airplane and waited for a minute. He heard the Pan Am say they would "report when clear". He took that to mean they were clear. Pan AM 747-121 N736PA, operating as Flight 1736 was about halfway down the runway when KLM powered up, and roared down the runway. The Pan Am crew noticed the lights through the fog were "shaking". "Is he moving?" The copilot pointed out his window. The captian tried to get the Jumbo Jet off the runway, turning her broad side to the KLM. Van Zant realized Pan Am was still on the runway and yanked the yoke back. It was too late. the belly of the KLM imbacted the Pan Am Jumbo mid-way down the fuesalage. The wing tore off the upper deck. The KLM crashed back on the runway and exploded. If im correct, the cockpit crew of the Pan Am survived. 583 out of 644 lost there lives because of Van Zants miscomunication with the tower.

The most ironic part I remember about that was shortly after the news reached KLM Headquaters, a call was placed to the Van Zant household. KLM wanted him to go to Tenerife and assist with the investigation...of course, he wasnt available...
her
The blame for the accident rested squarly on Van Zants shoulders. No one else. I would say the blame was 99% Van Zant, 1% weather. Pan Am followed instructions. KLM was NOT cleared for take off. Due to the fog, the tower couldnt see either aircraft.

Hope that answers some questions.