airtraffic

Author Topic: All dark in the tower:  (Read 4687 times)

Offline michaelt747

All dark in the tower:
« on: April 27, 2006, 03:38:24 AM »
Hey, this is a pretty simple question that i have always wondered about:  At night, the Tower cab is completely dark right??? (i cant imagine that they would have much light other than just a reading lamp or sumthing)

Also, why are TRACONs and so dark? i dont really get why they have to be so pitched black like i have heard that they are...are Centers the same way?

thnx guys, Mike

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
All dark in the tower:
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 05:35:27 AM »
They are virtually all that way.  It makes it a lot easier to see the radar screen over an extended period of time, especially with older CRT's.

There is some history to this.  Displays used to update in sync with the radar in real time. The images were merely displayed, not stored in a computer as they are today.  Images on CRT's would fade away gradually, so the air traffic controller could see them for at least a few seconds.  Before the sweep images faded away completely, they would refresh (on the next sweep).  Because the images grew dim as they faded, it was necessary to make radar rooms dark, to aid in viewing.

Today the displays are much higher contrast, at least in most facilities.  But the practice persists, probably due to an FAA human factors study.  :-)

Dave