Author Topic: liveATC on SONOS - Sample Rate can't be ajusted?  (Read 2594 times)

Offline valiii

liveATC on SONOS - Sample Rate can't be ajusted?
« on: February 25, 2018, 02:53:45 PM »
Hy dear community, it is my first post here in the forum and I hope that I selected the right category  8-)
I just tried to integrate a liveATC stream to my SONOS speaker network but it did not went well because of the low sample rates of most of the liveATC streams (11.025 kHz or 8.000 kHz). Unfortunately, SONOS only supports sample rates of 16000 Hz, 22050 Hz, 24000 Hz, 32000 Hz, 44100 Hz and 48000 Hz. Is there any possibility to adjust these sample rates (for example on the liveATC servers) or is it up to the individual scanner stations to select a higher sample rate?

Kind regards from Switzerland!
By the way, I have a project to add Buochs LSZC to the liveATC Stream in the near future.

Offline wiedehopf

Re: liveATC on SONOS - Sample Rate can't be ajusted?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 06:10:48 PM »
why don't you ask SONOS to support more formats ... :)

the low sample rate is required to keep the file size small while keeping voice quality acceptable.

Offline valiii

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 02:41:13 AM »
why don't you ask SONOS to support more formats ... :)

the low sample rate is required to keep the file size small while keeping voice quality acceptable.
I totally understand your point and as a streamer, I would also go for the lower sample rate in order to reduce network load.
SONOS will not adjust their compatibility as they only accept high quality streams "for the best audio quality and performance" https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/80/~/supported-audio-formats

Offline wiedehopf

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 06:43:43 AM »
can't you use it as a bluetooth speaker for your phone and just use the app?
i guess not because it uses WIFI and just wants the audio file.
too bad you can't just use it as a remote speaker for the mobile phone just reencoding

honestly there is no reason not to support low sample rates.
the speaker system has to resample them anyway.

also "protecting" the user from "bad" content is just stupid. they could have a warning: low quality not the speakers fault lol.

anyway there are a few streams with 22kHz.
listen to JFK tower for example ;)

Have you actually contacted the customer support and told them about your problem or how do you know "why" they are not supporting more formats?

edit: also there seems to be a line in option on some of those speakers? so you can connect an old mobile phone with a cable to listen to liveatc? :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 06:46:02 AM by wiedehopf »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 04:04:36 PM »
We have received a couple requests over the last couple of years related to Sonos "support." Due to the large number of different stream sources, using a wide variety of radios and encoder types, there is no way to change all of them to 22kHz sampling and higher. Many of them are already 22kHz and higher, and we try to do it where we can. It would be a simple change for Sonos to support lower sampling rates - keep lobbying them.