airtraffic

Author Topic: Another antenna topic :: Car antennas?  (Read 10585 times)

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Another antenna topic :: Car antennas?
« on: October 07, 2007, 08:03:31 PM »
Does anyone here use a car antenna for use at the airport or on the road? Was wondering what kind of antennas people have, how people install antennas into their rides, and if possible if you could post pictures of your setup.

Offline dovaka

Re: Another antenna topic :: Car antennas?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 10:59:30 PM »
i dont have a picture handy but i either use a mag mount or one that clips onto my window depending on what im doing or how long its going to be there for

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 10:29:33 AM »
Anyone here actually mounted an antenna to their ride? I was thinking of using magnetic, but im guessing it would fly off while driving.

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 12:00:25 PM »
The one I linked to stayed on quite well even the way I drive(speedy gonzalez) at around 90-95

Offline Tom56

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 02:13:12 PM »
I just use a cheap magnet mount cb antenna on my truck and it works fine. :-D

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 02:24:30 PM »
FYI, if your scanner can also receive police bands it may be illegal in your state to listen to it in your car.  For example, here in FL it's legal to listen to a police scanner in your car if you're running it off internal batteries and the rubber ducky antenna.  But if you're using car power and/or an external antenna, it's considered a permanent mount and is suddenly illegal.

I know you're talking about listening to ATC and not police bands.  Hopefully you're never in the position of having to try to explain that to the arresting officer.  ;)

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 06:23:01 PM »
Strange stuff. So I guess im going to get one from radioshack and try it out, if it doesnt work well ill just return it. Biff: Strange law there, cant you just say its a CB antenna?

Offline SkyViking

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 12:24:33 AM »
Radio Shack has a good mag. mount for around $30.  It's durable and excellent.  The static crap you pick up without an external mount is gone!  Used it on trips from Toronto to NYC and ORD continously on the highway and never had any problems of it falling off.  You'll need to get a BNC adapter for your scanner mount, also from Radio Shack for about $5.  Enjoy!

Offline kkjlai

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 11:03:25 AM »
I used a few antennas before and now I have settled with a RadioShack "CB" Mag Mount. 

Details:  Antenna I have tried include

a) VHF (with loading coil).  Still using it sometimes when my car is still and when I need to do some Radio transmittion (amateur band).  However, it bends to much in Highway speed which is first ,ugly, and secondly suffer in receiving

b) An Airband Mag Mount antenna from Watson.  It is very good when standing still.  However again, bends too much in highway speed as it is a very thin antenna.  It comes with a small micro-mag mount.

c)  Radio Shack CB Antenna.  I picked it up (actually 2) for $5 during a clearance sale.   I then cut the antenna to 1/4 wave length of airband.  The performance is slightly worse than antenna b) above, however, it can withstand highway speed which make up for its reception strength.  For $5, I cannot compain.   Too bad that there is no Radio Shack any more in Canada.

For those who are worried that the Mag Mount would fly off, I have not experienced any problem with a mag mount yet.  I can probably say the mag mount don't even move at all.

Offline nwales

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 02:13:51 AM »
I got a CB antenna for my car a while back to use with an old CB radio. I think it was somewhere around $30-$40 and I got it at a Murray's Autoparts. It had some good reception using the little tuner gizmo I bought which was about $25. Worked pretty good considering I had no Fluggin' clue what I was doing.. :-D