airtraffic

Author Topic: "F*** U FAA"  (Read 12735 times)

Offline athaker

"F*** U FAA"
« on: January 24, 2008, 10:29:51 PM »
Some initial results of the east coast airspace restructuring:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/01/24/rooftop.protest.ap/index.html

Offline JALTO

Re: "F*** U FAA"
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 10:21:19 AM »
The City of Brotherly Love.... Yea Right!

-Jalto

Offline tyketto

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 01:46:03 PM »
Hmm.. Have to wonder something...

How long have they owned their house, and what were the traffic flows like before they changed them to the previous setup they had? It's possible they fell into the same situation homeowners in Las Vegas did, and are whining about it.

For those not in the know, there used to be absolutely nothing west and south of the 19 and 25 departure corridor out of LAS for a good 7 - 8 DME. So there really was no complaint about noise. Then housing developments started to pop up, and people moved into them, and now they are complaining about noise from departure paths that were established there... for YEARS before those homes were even thought of, let alone built.

It could just be lack of common sense. If you're living near an airport, or under the departure or arrival paths of planes, EXPECT NOISE.

BL.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 03:26:52 PM »
It could just be lack of common sense. If you're living near an airport, or under the departure or arrival paths of planes, EXPECT NOISE.

Totally agree, but the sad truth is that more than one (smaller) airport have met their demise due to neighbors moving in and then suddenly complaining about the noise.

Putting a large curse word on top of your house ain't exactly a sign of class, though.     There are probably other ways to make a point.

Offline w0x0f

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 07:57:45 PM »

How long have they owned their house, and what were the traffic flows like before they changed them to the previous setup they had? It's possible they fell into the same situation homeowners in Las Vegas did, and are whining about it.

The heading for jet departures from 27L & 27R @ PHL has been 255° for several decades.   The 255° heading takes the jets down the Delaware River until leaving 3000 and avoids populated areas for the most part.  The new headings were started last month.  I believe that was mentioned in the artcle.  These headings send jets over the populated areas which have been there for several decades.  The LAS argument isn't valid in PHL.

The FAA had public hearings, but in typical arrogant FAA fashion, they were just a farce and the FAA was going to do whatever the FAA wanted to do.  That is why this guy is so pissed.  I don't blame him.  I may not agree with his tactics, but I think it's hilarious.

w0x0f   

Offline seahawks7757

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 10:54:37 PM »
I am right with you. We have the same issues up here with train tracks and to me I say you chose to live next to the tracks so stop whining. I say the same to those about complaining about planes.

Offline Sasquach

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 02:48:04 AM »
I live in the direct path of aircraft landing on 18L and 18R at KHSV.  Sometimes it's a 747.  When I go to bed and hear the aircraft coming in, it makes me sleep better.  I used to live 10 miles from the airport.  Now I live 2 miles from the airport (hence the feed for KHSV).  I knew what I was getting into.  Stop your Bit**ing people.  You knew you were close to an airport.

Offline MathFox

• The Flying Fox
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 07:21:50 AM »
Changing the flight paths increases the number of complaints. When Schiphol (EHAM) opened the 18R/36L runway they changed STARs and SIDs so that there would be less people inconvenienced by aircraft noise. Unfortunately a few people that got more noise started complaining and they more than compensated for the drop in complaints from the areas with reduced noise.

Offline rbrong

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 06:29:29 PM »
This kind of thing seems to happen all too often but usually goes unnoticed because irritated property owners don't resort to marking their roofs to makes a point.  Of course, the homeowner is 'taking it out on the messenger' - the pilots.  The pilots are just following the rules. 

We've had the same issues here in Reno with flight paths changing frequently as our urban sprawl continues.  Around here we rarely hear an airplane after 9 pm or before about 6 am.  There are enough departure / approach procedures to keep the noise from being concentrated over one particular area.  Most of this stuff comes out of ignorance as most people just don't understand the positive impacts airports have on their communities.

AOPA loves these kind of issues.  Check out http://www.aopa.org/asn/ if you've never seen it.  Of course, this reminds me of my old stomping ground - cattle country - where homeowners that would move in next to a herd of cows would complain that cow poop stinks.

Offline JALTO

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 11:10:06 AM »

The heading for jet departures from 27L & 27R @ PHL has been 255° for several decades.   The 255° heading takes the jets down the Delaware River until leaving 3000 and avoids populated areas for the most part.  The new headings were started last month.  I believe that was mentioned in the artcle.  These headings send jets over the populated areas which have been there for several decades.  The LAS argument isn't valid in PHL.

The FAA had public hearings, but in typical arrogant FAA fashion, they were just a farce and the FAA was going to do whatever the FAA wanted to do.  That is why this guy is so pissed.  I don't blame him.  I may not agree with his tactics, but I think it's hilarious.

w0x0f   

Can you tell me if the headings for the 9L/9R departures have changed as well?  I can't determine if the noise over my house has changed on bad weather days at PHL....I just know they are low and slow when they pass me for the 27R landings...and I love it!

-Jalto

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 02:52:42 PM »
How nice to hear the familiar DC-9'S AND MD-80'S Loud and High Pitched engine's rumblking down a runway and taking off. Google Waters and Anderson AV's in Tampa Fl and compare that to how close Tampa Int. is and you will know what I mean. That is where my house is in relation to the airport which is sout of me. I relish the noise
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 02:55:08 PM by FLARTCCFAN »

Offline w0x0f

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 01:59:30 AM »

Can you tell me if the headings for the 9L/9R departures have changed as well?  I can't determine if the noise over my house has changed on bad weather days at PHL....I just know they are low and slow when they pass me for the 27R landings...and I love it!

-Jalto

The 9L & 9R departures remain the same according to this plan.

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/nas_redesign/regional_guidance/eastern_reg/nynjphl_redesign/media/congressional_2007-11-16.ppt

I'll try to contact one of the PHL controllers to verify the current procedure.   

w0x0f

Offline phlcontroller

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 06:25:25 PM »
Headings off 9R & 9L are-----081 degrees for north bound Turbojet dept. fixes and 096 degrees  for southbound Turbojet dept. fixes.

Offline cool92092

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 08:31:18 AM »
I live right under the ILS for 4L at JFK, in a big building with many, many other tenants. Personally I like watching the big guys come in and head out, but I'm one of those people that would intentionally buy a house next to an Airport just for that purpose. Some people complain but most just don't really care. Why is this guy an exception. If I flew out of philly I'd try to get the lowest possible altitude and buzz this guy's house just to piss him off even more. I wonder if the controllers working there could send some exta planes toward these people...