airtraffic

Author Topic: Air Force One @ MSP  (Read 5261 times)

Offline tedbyrne

Air Force One @ MSP
« on: December 09, 2005, 12:21:17 PM »
Just heard a call about Air Force One being short final for 30 R at KMSP.

and just now a call about Air Force One being on the ground, and a plane having to divert to Rochester, MN due to fuel requirements.  Apparently, the security checks required for Air Force One would have taken too long for this aircraft to hold in pattern, and the pilot elected to divert to KRST.

Offline Neil

Air Force One @ MSP
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 02:04:33 PM »
Thats odd...its only Air Force one if the Prez is on board, so he must be on it....but shifting arrival airport is a job of immense proportions. Id be very suprised if they diverted unless there was no possible way to land at the original destination....The security alone takes at least 24 hours to set up at an airport for a presidential stop...

Offline tedbyrne

diverting airplane
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 02:39:16 PM »
He was on it - there was a fundraiser in town today for Mark Kennedy.

Just to be clear, Air Force One didn't divert; the aircraft that diverted was in a holding pattern, waiting for the TFR for Air Force One to terminate - he called that he was low on fuel and didn't want to take a risk on waiting, so he requested and received a clearance direct to Rochester.  

He also said he was communicating with company regarding having only 1000 lbs of fuel, so it must have been a rather large aircraft.  Ironically, the airport reopened for normal traffic about 15 minutes later.  Tough call for the PIC, I guess.

Offline Neil

Air Force One @ MSP
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 03:24:44 PM »
Ahh, ok. My fault. I thought you were saying AF1 diverted....I knew that couldnt have been the case...

Thanks for clearing it up...