airtraffic

Author Topic: Air Canada 992 - Goes around ? at yyz  (Read 13276 times)

Offline yyzfan

Air Canada 992 - Goes around ? at yyz
« on: March 12, 2006, 08:32:10 PM »
I was taping when I saw Air Canada 992 coming in, it was coming in on runway 5. They passed over meadowvale beacon, controller alerted them to a small aircraft ahead, not sure which, so they turned around over erin mills, and headed back around meadowvale beacon.

Download the yyz 1930-2000 for further details. I got footage if anyone is interested. see 5 min marker

Offline Acey

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 09:13:59 PM »
Two other interesting things on the YYZ feed today: apparently WestJet guys always zoom past the high speeds at Pearson for a little shorter taxi so after one was rolling out on 05 and passed H3, the tower said, "Not to pick on your company, but the WestJet guys always seem to miss the high speeds. Like, I mean we aim for everyone to exit at the high speeds, if you could just get the word around your company".  On the south side of the field, a fox was on or near the taxiway and the tower was concerned that it was on the runway.  He asked a pilot rolling out and she said laughing, "Your ground guys are chasing him down."  Everyone is always happy in Toronto.

Adrian :D

Offline kkjlai

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 12:04:41 AM »
and then later on at around 11:30pm (Eastern time) there is a power failure in CYYZ..

It was a busy day though..  controllers are non-stop talking all day.. March break madness??  :D

Offline kkjlai

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 06:40:22 PM »
And now (March 13), it is CAT III operations now..  3 missed approaches just now (6:25pm EST)

Offline Acey

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 06:44:45 PM »
Yup, CAT III ops on 06L.  Approach controller said flow rate into Toronto is 12 per hour!  Really slows down the operation.  Reporting tail winds of 80 -100 knots on the approach, is that not surpoassing any limits for the turboprops heading in?

Offline medik06

Re: Air Canada 992 - Goes around ? at yyz
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 08:59:09 PM »
Quote from: yyzfan
I was taping when I saw Air Canada 992 coming in, it was coming in on runway 5. They passed over meadowvale beacon, controller alerted them to a small aircraft ahead, not sure which, so they turned around over erin mills, and headed back around meadowvale beacon.

Download the yyz 1930-2000 for further details. I got footage if anyone is interested. see 5 min marker

Hey YYZfan, thanks for the info just been listening to the archive, did you say you have video footage of the missed approach?? If you do is there a way we could watch it?? 8)

Offline Pygmie

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 06:05:08 PM »
Quote from: Adrian8
Yup, CAT III ops on 06L.  Approach controller said flow rate into Toronto is 12 per hour!  Really slows down the operation.  Reporting tail winds of 80 -100 knots on the approach, is that not surpoassing any limits for the turboprops heading in?

80-100 knots of wind???  You sure it wasn't 8-10 knots, or am I misunderstanding your post?

In any case, tailwind limits, as I understand them are based on the operator regs, so some operators might allow more than others, and usually turboprops have much higher tailwind limits than the jets do.  I know some operators will not allow their aircraft to go in with ANY tailwind.

Approach spaceing on the CAT III was 15+ miles, hence the really low flow rate.

Offline Acey

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 06:53:45 PM »
100% positive they were saying 80-100 knots tailwind, obviously that wasn't below about 2500 feet I would imagine.  As it kind of tapered off, they were reporting 50 - 80 knot headwinds when they swung it around to 24R when CAT III ops were no longer needed.

Offline Pygmie

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 11:41:14 PM »
Oh, ok.  That makes a lot more sense, for some reason I though you meant that's what the ATIS or the controllers were reporting on the ground.

Was about to say, 80-100 knots of surface wind doesn't just go beyond tailwind limits, but probably quite a few buildings in YYZ as well.

Offline Tomato

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 10:36:21 AM »
Out of curiosity, where exactly is the Meadowvale beacon/marker?

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 11:37:37 AM »
>> Out of curiosity, where exactly is the Meadowvale beacon/marker? <<

It's 4.1 nautical miles (4.7 statute miles) from the threshold of runway 05. DJ

Offline Tomato

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 01:28:53 PM »
Sorry, to be a little more specific... I was wondering if anybody knew exactly where it was in terms of nearest street/roads/buildings/intersections location?  :)

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 01:37:21 PM »
>> I was wondering if anybody knew exactly where it was in terms of nearest street/roads/buildings/intersections location? <<

Do you have Google Earth ? There's a measuring function that you can use to plot out 4.1 nautical miles from the threshold then zoom in. I took a look (I must be really bored today) but the detail wasn't quite good enough to find the actual antenna (VORs are easy to spot). 4.1 nautical miles puts it in the vicinity near the intersection of Old Mill Lane and Old Derry Road. DJ

Offline Pygmie

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 09:38:44 PM »
Yah, NDBs will be real hard to spot if you don't know, and even if you do know, where to look.  They will look just like radio antennas, which I'm sure Toronto has a few of!

Offline napknackered

yyz departure 11:15 last night.
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 12:17:29 PM »
Morning,  I am new to this forum and have specific question for yyz fan.  I was outside last nite around 11:15 pm when I noticed two aircraft departing westbound from yyz from parallel runways.  The flight path of these a/c crossed between Meadowvale and Milton .  From my vantage point  it looked a little to close....  at 11:30 pm I downloaded the archives from yyz and had a listen.  for me It was inconclusive..  

I understand  a little about  flight separation rules and the visual requirements.

can you listen and tell me what you hear..

Thanx Napknackered................