Author Topic: A340 Crashes at CYYZ  (Read 39804 times)

Offline KSYR-pjr

A340 Crashes at CYYZ
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2005, 11:26:37 AM »
Quote from: dave
I have the downloads throttled on purpose.

That's quite the downshift!  ;-)   Reminded me of my dial-up days.  Thanks for the flashback.  :) :) :)

Quote from: dave
I've run sites far larger than this.  :-)  But those were professional sites and I had a much larger budget and a real staff.  ;-)  

I've been doing this for a long time...actually, put one of the first commercial web sites on the air back in the day.

I am certainly impressed with your web prowess.  I have a hard enough time maintaining my family/aviation web site.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
A340 Crashes at CYYZ
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2005, 12:17:12 PM »
Spread the word that this is now on BitTorrent:

http://dl.liveatc.net/Air-France-Crash-CYYZ.torrent

This should help spread the load around even more.

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. If you don't know what BitTorrent is, please don't ask here.  Use Google or go to http://www.bittorrent.com

Offline KSYR-pjr

A340 Crashes at CYYZ
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2005, 03:43:15 PM »
Someone in the piloting newsgroups claimed that there are reports of the Air France flight executing a missed approach during its first approach attempt and that the accident occurred during the landing from the second attempt.

Did anyone hear the Air France go missed after this supposed first attempt?

Somehow I doubt the validity of this report, but if it did happen, the proof should be in the archive.

Offline Jonathan_tcu

A340 Crashes at CYYZ
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2005, 11:17:44 AM »
My bone to pick is the weather and Pearson updating the ATIS for preferred runway usage.  2004 Z indcated a wind shift from 260 to 310 degrees or so from 11 knots and gusted to 33 knots.  My question is the NOTAm indicates 33 R is closed during peak hours.  Could aircraft not have used runway the other side of 33? And does 33 have an ILS?

Offline kkjlai

A340 Crashes at CYYZ
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2005, 06:32:14 PM »
Jonathan_tcu;

I was listening to the CYYZ ATIS around the time the accident occur.  The ATIS information calls for rapid changing wind direction and ATC will assign runway "on the fly".

And yes, both RWY 33L and 33R are ILS equipped..  And on the day of the accident, I think they are both operational. (Check http://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_otherdis.jsp?advn=6003&adv_date=08022005  
)

JL

Offline Jonathan_tcu

updraft
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2005, 09:12:23 PM »
During the front of a main of two cold frontage passage yesterday, there was a PIREP issued for a flight about 30 nm NE of our airport who reported 'being sucked up' into the cb, approximately 1000 feet per minute.  Is the general rule of thumb 500 feet / minute for climb or descent?

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: updraft
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2005, 10:37:04 PM »
Quote from: Jonathan_tcu
During the front of a main of two cold frontage passage yesterday, there was a PIREP issued for a flight about 30 nm NE of our airport who reported 'being sucked up' into the cb, approximately 1000 feet per minute.  Is the general rule of thumb 500 feet / minute for climb or descent?

For non-pressurized aircraft, the "comfort" rule of thumb when carrying passengers who are not accustomed to the pressure change is for the pilot to keep descents around 500 fpm or lower, if possible.   This descent rate results in a more gradual change in pressure, which gives these unaccustomed passengers a better chance to equalize.  

For pressurized aircraft, such as the large jets, it is common for them to climb and descend at 2000-4000 fpm at lower altitudes.  Comfort is a non-issue, since the cabin pressure is slowly brought up to about 8,000 feet above sea level and then remains at that pressure.

Regarding 1000 fpm climb rate around a CB, I am underwhelmed.  Many books I have read about updrafts and downdrafts inside CBs can be as high as the 3,000 to 5,000 fpm range.  

On a very cold day two years ago, I was able to get a 1,200 fpm climb rate out of a Cessna 172 SP (180hp engine) and in the Bonanza I now fly, that climb rate is routine.   :)