Author Topic: High speed  (Read 6657 times)

Offline Air Jamaica

• Soreing to new hights
High speed
« on: May 29, 2007, 10:14:11 PM »
I have heard most ATC Tower controllers tell a pilot that they must turn on the high speed, what taxi way is the high speed?.

Offline digger

Re: High speed
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 11:16:17 PM »
If you look at an airport diagram, (they can easily be found online), you'll see some taxiways that are at a 90 degree angle to the runway. An aircraft would have trouble making a turn onto one of those unless it was moving slowly. Other taxiways are at an angle to the runway--aircraft don't have to slow down nearly as much to exit on those taxiways, thus "high speed".

The less time each aircraft spends on the runway, the more traffic an airport can handle.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 11:18:23 PM by digger »

Offline tyketto

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 03:24:44 AM »
If you look at an airport diagram, (they can easily be found online), you'll see some taxiways that are at a 90 degree angle to the runway. An aircraft would have trouble making a turn onto one of those unless it was moving slowly. Other taxiways are at an angle to the runway--aircraft don't have to slow down nearly as much to exit on those taxiways, thus "high speed".

The less time each aircraft spends on the runway, the more traffic an airport can handle.

I thought I remember a reference saying that high speed taxiways were a 50 or 60 degree angle to the forward facing runway in use.. I know it's mentioned somewhere, but not quite sure.

Also in contrast, you may hear ATC asking to use the 'reverse' or 'reverse high speed, which is a high speed intersection, but for the opposite runway; for example, landing on 24R at KLAX, and the aircraft exits on taxiway Y, which is actually a high speed for 6L.

BL.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 08:17:41 AM »
From the Pilot/Controller Glossary (P/CG):

Quote from: Pilot/Controller Glossary
HIGH SPEED TAXIWAY- A long radius taxiway designed and provided with lighting or marking to define the path of aircraft, traveling at high speed (up to 60 knots), from the runway center to a point on the center of a taxiway. Also referred to as long radius exit or turn-off taxiway. The high speed taxiway is designed to expedite aircraft turning off the runway after landing, thus reducing runway occupancy time.

Pretty much the same thing digger said except in FAA legal jargin.

Offline Air Jamaica

• Soreing to new hights
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 10:00:44 PM »
Thanks for your information guys :roll: