Author Topic: A319 Takeoff  (Read 8989 times)

Offline Glavata

A319 Takeoff
« on: March 14, 2006, 02:54:05 AM »

Hope you havn't seen it before :D

Offline Cessna172

A319 Takeoff
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 07:16:41 PM »
Hi Glavata!!

Thanks!!! That's an awesome video!!

I've seen many aircraft (in other vids and in real life) do the same manuver. I'm not sure how much you know about the F-15, but it was built to perform the following manuever: at Vr (rotation speed), the pilot pulls up and climbs to 20-30 AGL. The gear is then retracted before the Maximum Gear Extended Speed (Vle). Upon reaching the end of the runway, the pilot pulls up into around a 70degree climb. Of course, this maneuver is performed in full A/B (afterburner, a.k.a. reheat). The pilot maintains a certain speed and the climb angle (because of the spectacular thrust to weight ratio of the F-15) until 50,000 MSL, or until the pilot has attained his desired altitude. The pilot must recieve clearance from the controller to make this maneuver, and for any A/B departure, for that matter.

I've also performed this maneuver (in a much less intense version) in my C-172S. Except in my case, I don't have to ask any controller because I was at an untowered airport, and not very many other aircraft were around. It probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but no one was watching, and thus no one could catch my tail number. Kind of foolish, I know, however I had to get my fighter pilot fix for the day. My aircraft is utility rated (a step above the normal cat in GA aircraft). And thus, according to the FAA regs, I am allowed and have performed many spins, power-on stalls, power-off stalls, chandells, and lazy-eights in my aircraft. The FBO at my airport has a Beechcraft F33C (which is an aerobatic aircraft) for rent for about $200/hour, which is WAY over my budget. So, for now, my Skyhawk is the only way to get my G's in.

Anyway, thanks again!!

Cessna172
Home Airport: West Houston Airport (KIWS)
www.westhoustonairport.com

Offline KCbook05

A319 Takeoff
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 07:06:12 PM »
WOW... At first i thought it was just a usualy takeoff nothing fancy. And then he goes almost Completly Verticle and i was like WOW.....

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
A319 Takeoff
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 08:08:08 PM »
Looks computer edited :) I dont think any sane pilot would do that lol

Offline digger

A319 Takeoff
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 08:57:52 PM »
I have seen that one before, and seen it discussed. The consensus was that it's authentic, probably a demonstration at an airshow. Certainly a thrilling takeoff!

Reference the F-15 takeoff described by Cessna172, it wasn't directly on takeoff, but at the conclusion of an airshow routine--I was listening on the scanner, and prior to taking off to perform his routine, the F-15 pilot was coordinating a handoff to center's airspace, as he was heading directly home without landing back at the show. Tower asked, "Center wants to know where you'll be when you reach 20,000 feet?" The F-15 replied, "Uh, right over the airport."

If you want to see another good takeoff video, check this one out--a fully loaded AN-225.

Offline Cessna172

A319 Takeoff
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 07:30:54 PM »
Hi digger!!

Thanks for the AN-225 vid. I had absolutely no idea that the T/O roll for the Antonov was so slow. (or maybe it just appears slow??) I guess the only way to find out is to get some V-speeds for it (e.g. V1, Vr, V2, etc). Digger, do you know the Vr for the AN-225?? Also, do you know if the new Airbus A380 is bigger than the AN-225 or not? I've always wondered that. Anyways, thanks again for the video.

Refering back to the A-319 maneuver and the F-15, I've seen a show on TV about F-15's out at Edwards AFB in California. Edwards AFB is the only place that F-15's are certified to preform a specific manueuver (unfortunitaly I forgot the name of it, but you can't know it all). The manuver consists of: climbing to 19000 or 20000 MSL. Then, full 100% military power, and pull up into a 60-70 degree climb. Of course this is preformed in a two seater, so that an instructor can ride in the back seat (possibly an F-15E Strike Eagle??). The climb angle is held until a certian IAS (indicated airspeed), and the A/C is pulled up into a 90 degree climb angle. Angle is held until stall speed, and A/C violently noses down uncontrollably. The program that I watched said that pilots who don't strap themselves in tight enough get their helmets banged against the canopy. It is easy to see why this is only allowed at Edwards (the USAF's test pilot school's location and also the location of the Test Wing, 411th, I think). It is also easy to see why it's done in a two seater, so that the instructor can preform it first.

Anyway, that's enough F-15 stories for the day. Thanks again to Glavata for the A-319 vid, and thanks to digger for the AN-225 vid.

Cessna172

Offline Cessna172

A319 Takeoff
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 07:35:54 PM »
One more thing:

check out my post about the Airbus A380 "Navigator" Site:

http://www.liveatc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1565&highlight=

Cessna172

Offline Pygmie

A319 Takeoff
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 05:39:13 PM »
Here's a similar video of a 737-200 doing a high-speed pass then a steep climb.  Was at the retirement celebration for WestJet's last 737-200.  Not quite as dramatic as the first one poster, but I found it quite interesting to watch.

Offline Cessna172

A319 Takeoff
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 08:58:50 PM »
Hi!!

I found of the name of the maneuver where the F-15 pulls into a 70degree climb. It's called: a Viking Takeoff.

Below, is a link to a video of an F-15C making a Viking T/O.

Cessna172