Author Topic: 9/11 - Never Forget  (Read 5418 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
9/11 - Never Forget
« on: September 11, 2008, 12:52:18 PM »
I'd like to ask all of us today to take a minute out of our day for a moment of silence for all the fallen heroes and unfortunate victims of September 11, 2001.  Surely a day that none of us will forget for the rest of our lives.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Re: 9/11 - Never Forget
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 05:19:30 PM »
My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to those we lost, and their friends and family.  It is a horrific day I will certainly never forget.  Let us all appreciate our friends, family, and freedoms we enjoy each day.

Be safe.

Best,

Offline tyketto

Re: 9/11 - Never Forget
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 08:02:36 PM »
Instead of being solemn and agreeing to remember everyone we've lost, I'll take a different route and leave you a heartening, yet positive story on 9/11.

Anyone here familiar with Michael Hingson? No? bueller?

Well, you should be. You see, for all intents and purposes, Michael cheated death twice. The first time was in 1979, when he was supposed to be on a certain flight out of ORD, but managed to get on an earlier flight. The flight he was originally to be on was AAL191, which was the DC10 that lost its engine on takeoff, flipped over, and crashed; no-one survived that flight.

Second time was 23 years later on 9/11, which is one I won't forget. Michael was working with two other people on the 78th floor of Tower One. When everything happened, he hadn't seen a thing. He didn't know that 25 floors below, AAL11 hit the north tower. But when he found out, he put his trust in his guide dog, Roselle, that they would get out. Yes, Michael is blind. So when those planes hit, and they were catching the scents of the building on fire, jet fuel, and many other things, He had to remain strong and confident in Roselle, because if he didn't Roselle would have felt that and start to panic herself.

But they did it. 50 minutes later, disheveled, and spent, they made it out and away from the area. By then both towers had fallen. But if it weren't for the trust he had in Roselle (heh! they even stopped to help someone after getting out!).. I learned what real trust and teamwork was from that.

My to-be wife is blind. She has a guide dog from the same place Roselle is from. Seeing them work is really an amazing thing, and it makes you think how much you take for granted.. But I won't ever look at the blind the same again (pun intended! :) )

Here's Michael's Story plus a short bio on him, especially for 1979. I can't say that it was specifically AAL191, but it is TOO coincidental. Enjoy.

BL.