airtraffic

Author Topic: 5-12-22 KSJC. ATC Zero  (Read 2803 times)

Offline diskus

5-12-22 KSJC. ATC Zero
« on: May 13, 2022, 08:44:50 AM »
About 3PM PDT yesterday I logged on to Norcal Approach. Shortly after, I heard the controller tell a plane decending on approach to San Jose that the tower was "ATC Zero" and to approach as an "uncontrolled airfield" . i listened to Norcal a bit longer and heard that the approach and departure frequencies were coordinating landings and departures out of SJC. I then tuned to the KSJC tower frequency and got to listen to something I had never before, commerical airliners using CTAF to land take off and taxi at an international airport. Tower came back up about 6PM. I have not heard what the issue was. Quite an interesting listen if someone wants to dig up the archives.. I acually heard the Norcal contoller tell planes he wasnt sure which of the two runways other planes were headed to.

Someone please delete the previous topic where I used quotes in the title
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 08:54:15 AM by diskus »

Offline tyketto

Re: 5-12-22 KSJC. ATC Zero
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 06:49:35 PM »
About 3PM PDT yesterday I logged on to Norcal Approach. Shortly after, I heard the controller tell a plane decending on approach to San Jose that the tower was "ATC Zero" and to approach as an "uncontrolled airfield" . i listened to Norcal a bit longer and heard that the approach and departure frequencies were coordinating landings and departures out of SJC. I then tuned to the KSJC tower frequency and got to listen to something I had never before, commerical airliners using CTAF to land take off and taxi at an international airport. Tower came back up about 6PM. I have not heard what the issue was. Quite an interesting listen if someone wants to dig up the archives.. I acually heard the Norcal contoller tell planes he wasnt sure which of the two runways other planes were headed to.

Definitely would be an interesting one to look up. Last time I saw any tower go ATC Zero was at LAS when they had to shut down from COVID. are they running today?

BL.

Offline diskus

Re: 5-12-22 KSJC. ATC Zero
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 09:16:54 AM »
Seems th tower has been back since that night at 6