Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Listener Forum / Re: KGPT feed is live
« Last post by fasteddy64 on January 09, 2023, 08:44:10 PM »
I have no idea.
I am pretty new to this, just doing the best I can with what I have.
Listener Forum / Re: PHOG Del/Grnd/Twr/Appr Feed up but not hearing any transmissions
« Last post by Eop34Rt on January 06, 2023, 07:19:48 PM »
Thanks...we received your report. That is some of our equipment out there. We will look into it this week.
How long should it take to get fixed?
Aviation News (General) / What we can learn from Southwest - From Sully
« Last post by KB4TEZ on January 04, 2023, 02:28:31 PM »
From my LinkedIn Feed.

Real-world lessons about preparing for crisis: What we can learn from Southwest

Witnessing the meltdown of Southwest Airlines last week was sad and shocking. It’s difficult to overstate the amount of misery experienced by countless travelers this holiday season. And much of it was unnecessary. It is important to note that none of the other major U.S. airlines operating in the same weather conditions experienced anywhere near the number of flight cancelations that Southwest did.

It has been over half a century since Southwest Airlines was a new startup low-cost point-to-point airline flying between a triangle of cities in Texas: Dallas, San Antonio and Houston.

Now, Southwest is the largest U.S. airline, serving over 100 cities with 4,000 flights a day.

As the airline grew, what obviously did not grow with it was its ability to continue to operate such a large, wide-ranging complex system when stressed by winter weather this week. What started as a weather event quickly became a communications and operational failure event. In stressing Southwest Airlines, it revealed the gaps and lack of capacity and redundancy in their communications and operational systems, particularly their inability to be resilient, to rapidly recover from disruptions.

For large major airlines to be prepared for major disruptions, they must have already invested heavily in improved technology and communications systems that have high reliability and redundancy, as well as the training for their employees to use these tools effectively.

From its inception, Southwest Airlines chose to be an outlier in many ways, but in one way that in particular led to this week’s problems: they do not interline passengers with other major airlines, which means that Southwest cannot book their passengers on other airlines when one of their flights is canceled.

Another one of the problems at Southwest Airlines this week was the inability of passengers to reach reservations, even after hold times of over 10 hours, and the inability of Southwest employees to have backup communications for an overloaded phone system. Southwest Airlines crew schedulers could not get new flight assignments to pilots and flight attendants, and the pilots and flight attendants often spent many hours on hold trying unsuccessfully to reach the schedulers.

The result was that schedulers did not know where crews were, and crews did not know which aircraft or flights they could be assigned to operate or which hotel they should use. Ultimately it meant chaos and a complete meltdown, with 16,000 flights canceled and many passengers and crews stranded.

As an airline pilot for 30 years, I can only imagine how challenging and frustrating this has been for all the flight crews. With a system failure this broad, safety is compromised.

If anything good can ever come from this meltdown, it will be that all airlines, especially Southwest, review all their systems and processes, establish resilient communications systems with sufficient backup capabilities for their passengers and employees to use.

What happened this week should not have had to happen, but it would be even more unforgivable if airlines do not learn from it and act on it and allow it to happen again.
Listener Forum / KNTU Giant Killer is stuck on a open frequency
« Last post by 5150aveighter on January 04, 2023, 10:35:59 AM »
stuck on an open frequency
Pilot/Controller Forum / Atlanta and Mother Nature, you can land, but leaving.........
« Last post by KB4TEZ on January 04, 2023, 07:49:20 AM »
If you want to hear some interesting chatter, hit up the Atlanta Towers/Ground,
lots of weathermen/women are also Pilots.

Aviation Accidents/Incidents / Teenager makes emergency landing near Cajon Pass
« Last post by KB4TEZ on January 03, 2023, 10:38:11 AM »
https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/small-plane-makes-emergency-landing-on-road-in-inland-empire/

On Monday, a single-engine plane with four people on board made an emergency landing on the road.

It happened shortly before 10 a.m. when the Piper PA-28 landed on Cajon Boulevard in the San Bernardino National Forest, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

Authorities said an 18-year-old was flying family members from Apple Valley Airport to Riverside Airport when he heard a "pop" and decided to make an emergency landing in a safe area.
We're coming through the pass and I hear a boom and then I lose all my engine power," said pilot Brock Peters.

While he loves flying ever since grade school, Peters only obtained his license four months ago.

In dire straits, Peters mustered everything he could recall from his emergency landing training and focused on bringing the plane down safely — especially since his grandmother and two cousins were in the passenger seats.

"I can hear my grandma crying in the back," he said. "I'm like 'I've got to tune her out, focus on what I need to do and get this plane down safely and make sure everybody is OK.'"

Unable to notify a nearby airport tower because of the terrain, Peters called his mom to let her know. He made the decision to bring the plane down in the Cajon Pass on a small frontage road.

"From the air, the field right in front of me looks flat," the 18-year-old recalled. "But once you get lower, it's trees, rocks, everything — just going to tear the plane up."

His next best option, and probably the safest, was to land on the road.

"We're driving down here, down Route 66. I'm looking at all these wires and I'm thinking 'How did he land this?'" said father Shane Peters.

Peters' dad, mom and younger sister all met him along Route 66 as mechanics examined the plane that had been towed off the road. Peters shared that he's at Victor Valley Community college waiting to begin his Mormon mission. he said that his faith helped get him through what could have been catastrophic.

"I knew I was going to land it," Peters said. "I knew I was going to. But to not hit anything that's God's intervention right there."

The California Highway Patrol was on the scene assisting with traffic control.

Nobody was injured in the incident. The FAA and NTSB are investigating exactly why the plane had to make the emergency landing.

In the meantime, Peters said he's going to take a couple of days to absorb what happened. However, come next week, he said he'll be right back in the cockpit.
Aviation Audio Clips / 1 dead 3 injured in private plane crash at Provo Airport
« Last post by KB4TEZ on January 03, 2023, 10:07:12 AM »
https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/provo-airport-closed-until-tuesday-due-to-plane-crash

PROVO, Utah — One person is dead and three others injured after a small plane crashed Monday afternoon at the Provo Airport.

Provo City officials said the private plane crashed "immediately after takeoff" around 11:35 a.m. One person died at the scene, another was taken to the hospital with critical injuries, and two other people received “what appears to be minor bumps and bruises.”
The airport was shut down following the crash, and city officials said it will remain closed until at least noon Tuesday as the Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Board conduct a full investigation.

Provo Airport manager Brian Torgersen said the aircraft only made it about 10 feet off the ground before going down.

“It’s just…nobody knows what happened,” Torgersen said. “Immediately after takeoff something occurred to cause the aircraft to lose control.”

Details such as where the plane was headed and the identities of the individuals on the aircraft were not made available.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/01/01/small-plane-crashes-in-watsonville-pilot-sustains-moderate-injuries/

A small plane crashed at the Watsonville Municipal Airport on Sunday afternoon. The pilot, a 73-year-old female, was taken to the hospital with moderate injuries and is “expected to be okay,” the city announced on Facebook.

People reported the crash off of Buena Vista Drive around 2:40 p.m. on Jan.1. First responders arrived at the scene, and roads in the area were closed off. A photo the city shared on social media shows the aircraft planted nose-down into the dirt at almost a 90-degree angle.

The pilot was flying solo and nobody else was injured, the city said.
Listener Forum / Re: PDX approach on different frequency?
« Last post by JetScan1 on January 02, 2023, 10:13:12 AM »
According to NOTAM it's estimated to come back on January 5th.

12/036 - COM REMOTE TRANS/REC 124.35 U/S. 17 DEC 22:08 2022 UNTIL 05 JAN 20:00 2023 ESTIMATED. CREATED: 17 DEC 22:08 2022
Listener Forum / Re: PDX approach on different frequency?
« Last post by dave on January 01, 2023, 08:24:39 PM »
There are frequency interference and radio maintenance issues all the time in various places. Perhaps it was just a temporary switch? due to interference or equipment issues? FAA TechOps would know, if anyone knows someone in the area....or any PDX controllers.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10