Air Traffic Monitoring > Feed Setup Pictures

Setup?

(1/16) > >>

KevinK:
Ok, well this seems like the most appropriate place to post so... I am about 5 nm away for KEUG in Eugene Oregon. I would like to get a feed going their. What is a cheap way to go? I have been looking at icom, and does the scanner have to be specific for "computers" for it to be able to connect to my soundcard? Whats a good "CHEAP" way to go :D I want a handheld for flying, so im getting that soon. But i have a feeling that wont get the job done, because of what i have been hearing about the quality. If i can get it to worke efficiently, then sure! I live on a hill up from the Airport. So i think i might have an easier time then some picking up tower. I know ill need an antenna, but it has to be discrete. Like, an antenna that i can just hang on the side of the house that doesn't stick out all over the place! What other equipement is needed for it to work, radio wise i mean... Theirs the scanner, antenna, what else? Can the scanner just "hook" into the computer and can the antenna just hook into the scanner? Please explain. Their wasn't much info on this around the site, and yes i already looked in faq, so try to help me out guys! Im sure you all didn't go blow hundreds of hundreds of bucks right off the bat!

Kalpazan:
I can only speak for myself but I believe it is not much of a difference for the others...

It is all not too expensive if you do not go for some very special setup. The scanner must have the aviation band and that is the only requirement for it. My one is Uniden UBC180XLT, paid around $150 at the time I bought it, it is handheld and it works just fine. The antenna I made myself but it should not cost more than $50-80 for you. Then just any PC that runs Windows or Linux and has sound card on it is fine. I bought dedicated second-hand notebook so that I can run the feed without occupying my 'mainframe' computer :-)

That's all of it. You connect the antenna to the scanner with a coaxial cable and the scanner to the sound card with a regular audio cable. Software to stream is provided to you for free. There is of course more work until u get best of it, like installing the antenna on a suitable place, proper wiring of the cables, scanner tuning, audio card adjustment and so on but those u should not be afraid of as we will help you :-)

Hope this helps...  :wink:

KevinK:
Mk ok thats real helpful. I want the sp-200, err the nav and com on sportys. Anyone know how the quality is for feeding? The faq said they tend to sound crappy, but we'll see. What kind of antenna is it...Where are places you mount it?

Kalpazan:
Usually you need discone type of antenna. One of these for example:

http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/acatalog/scanmaster-antennas.html

And you mount it outside and as high as possible. Somewhere on the roof for example. But must not be too far away from the scanner to avoid signal loss.

Lezam:
I did it a cheap way... I have a pro 83, got it on ebay new for 40 bucks. Got a jpole antenna for 27 bucks, if you want the link to the site ask me. And some RG-6 cable for free, some nice guy in radioshack paid for it (ran out of money)  :) . I have a special feed computer, wont be too hard for you to find a win 98+ computer. My mini 9 inch, 10 year old monitor :) And surge protector! Thats what I did :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version