Author Topic: Setup?  (Read 177770 times)

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2006, 09:20:31 AM »
I am using a little pro-83 from radioshack (Similar to the bearcats, but cheaper) Doesnt give out alot of power, but I am so close to the airport, it prob doesnt even matter :)

Offline KevinK

• http://www.silverskiesva.us
Setup?
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2006, 02:42:50 PM »
Mk, but yeah also will their be a huge difference in the quality of the sound of the feed with a handheld, compared to a scanner?

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2006, 11:47:46 PM »
Quote from: KevinK
Mk, but yeah also will their be a huge difference in the quality of the sound of the feed with a handheld, compared to a scanner?

No clue... Anyone?

Offline KevinK

Setup?
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2006, 03:14:09 AM »
Btw LEZAM, this is a bit random, looked at your link, your not hiring any web designers are you? I have about 4 years experience, knowledgable in HTML,Javascript,Some CSS,PHP, Learning asp, and yup!

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2006, 08:27:20 AM »
Yep, I am actually hiring, check your PM.

Offline KevinK

Setup?
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2006, 02:42:46 PM »
Replied, anyhow, anyone know about the quality?

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2006, 02:51:41 PM »
Personally, I would go with the desktop, because it sits up on the desk, unlike the handheld, and it prob has more functions then handheld. I like my radioshack handheld, because I can take it around with me, but if you dont need to take it around :) go with desktop

Offline KevinK

Setup?
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2006, 03:08:40 PM »
Well i need a handheld because im starting flight training in the summer. Dont really want to have to pay for the scanner if i dont need it

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2006, 03:24:34 PM »
Awesome, go for the handheld :) I personally like radioshack...

Offline Fra

Setup?
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2006, 12:05:56 PM »
Hi guys, I have a question about the antena. Well, I live in a 8 floors tall building, and I live on the 5th. I plan on placing the antenna on the top of my building, and than connect it with a cable to my appartment. What kind a cable to I need and will it be trouble the distance for the scaner?

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2006, 02:38:02 PM »
Would you say thats about 50 feet?

Offline Fra

Setup?
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2006, 05:48:18 PM »
Quote from: Lezam
Would you say thats about 50 feet?

The building's height is 78 feet so yeah, 50 feet should do it till my balcony or something. I also wondered, there is a high mountain between me and the airport, you think that will interfere with the waves?

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2006, 06:15:07 PM »
You need 50 OHM, or 75 OHM cabling. You can pick it up at radioshack. I bought RG-6, but you might want RG-8.

The mountain will effect the quality, but you might be high enough to not notice it :)

Offline Fra

Setup?
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2006, 06:19:05 PM »
So 75 OHM would be better, right? I need to look up the height of the mountain, but first I need to get a good scaner. (I have no idea about scaners). The thing is that here they are hard to get (few people are using them) I know 2 guys that perhaps own but I need to ask them. Anyway, if I can't find any to buy, I'll order one from Germany or even USA, I have lots of friend that would buy from ebay and send it. In few days I should get internet link and start preparations, so for now I'm still picking up informations.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Setup?
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2006, 06:20:54 PM »
Quote from: Fra
So 75 OHM would be better, right? I need to look up the height of the mountain, but first I need to get a good scaner. (I have no idea about scaners). The thing is that here they are hard to get (few people are using them) I know 2 guys that perhaps own but I need to ask them. Anyway, if I can't find any to buy, I'll order one from Germany or even USA, I have lots of friend that would buy from ebay and send it. In few days I should get internet link and start preparations, so for now I'm still picking up informations.

I'd suggest picking up 50 Ohm coax.  For the long distance you are talking about the coax traveling from the antenna to the scanner, try and get some very well shielded coax like RG-8/U or Belden 9913.

Jason

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2006, 06:22:23 PM »
Yup, 50 OHM would be best for you. Where are you located anyways? Sometimes you could find good auctions on ebay that include worldwide shipping prices :)

Offline Fra

Setup?
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2006, 06:27:34 PM »
Right now, Ohrid Macedonia

I sure will look things up, first I need to solve the internet connection, than to find a suitable pc (I have a very old one that I don't use 166 mhz, 16 mb ram, 700 mb HDD) but I don't think this would work, so I need to buy something second hand, or who knows, it has win98 on it (I'd prefer linux, so I'll try that one too, than the antenna (have no idea about this) than comes the tricky part (the cables scaner and to wire the whole thing up) Step by step.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 05:54:36 PM by Fra »

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2006, 06:32:29 PM »
Wow, what country is that:)

Offline Fra

Setup?
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2006, 06:34:23 PM »
Located in the Balkan peninsula, east of Italy and Albania, north of Greece.  :)

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2006, 06:36:37 PM »
Quote from: Fra
Located in the Balkan peninsula, east of Italy and Albania, north of Greece.  :)

I am guessing they dont have a radioshack up there :)

Offline Fra

Setup?
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2006, 06:43:59 PM »
No radioshack :( I should have bought long time ago, it just never crossed my mind. I will pull it out somehow.

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2006, 06:45:32 PM »
Well, you guys have credit cards up there right? You could make an ebay account, pay for it via paypal, and have it shipped to you from another country I guess...

Offline Fra

Setup?
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2006, 06:51:10 PM »
Yeah, but I don't really know if ebay ships internationally. Few years ago, while I was living in the states it was us and canada only, so I dont know right now if they do it.

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2006, 06:52:21 PM »
Well, ebay doesnt ship themselves. Some auctions have a "worldwide" shipping rate, flat for any country. I am sure that if you got a ebay and paypal account you could get it shipped to you. Its just a matter of cost.

Offline leonardoperezsalles

How to buy and pay
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2006, 10:01:32 PM »
Dude, i live in Honduras and although we have Radioshack they radiosuck cuz they dont sell all the neat things they sell in the US, and the postal service is a mess. But there are some companies that that a service called an IMC-International Mail club, this means that the company rents or buys a PO BOX in the US and they sub-lease it to you and bring the packages from the US to my home. So that gives you the ability to have an address is the US and so on...I Bought my Uniden BC895XLT that way.