airtraffic

Author Topic: SBFI setup pictures  (Read 34992 times)

Offline sbfi_feeder

SBFI setup pictures
« on: August 24, 2005, 01:51:24 PM »
Hi all,

I am posting some pictures of my setup here in SBFI.

Cheers all,

SBFI

Offline m50

SBFI Feeder
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 10:56:14 AM »
Hi there ...great pics of a good set up...I was interested to see the antenna pic which is not vertical as I use ( see eidw pics) you are horoz. Does anyone know does this make a difference to better reception?  M50

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
SBFI setup pictures
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 11:08:08 AM »
It does make a difference.  All airband communications use vertically-polarized antennas.  The cross-polarization difference (loss) can be from a few dB up to 20dB, depending on how the received wave rotates through free space and when it encounters obstacles.  

The rule of thumb with antennas is to always match polarizations at each end.  One exception to this is satellite communications where circular polarization is often used.

Dave

Offline LORm

• blue ball machines are fun.
SBFI setup pictures
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 01:24:33 PM »
Nice classic scanner, nice condition too. Interesting to see how the Realistic/Radioshack handheld lineage has retained the same basic keypad layout even to this day, it works great.
-LorM

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
SBFI setup pictures
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 04:30:39 PM »
Yes, the audio is outstanding!

Offline sbfi_feeder

SBFI setup pictures
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 05:50:35 PM »
I am using the HP antenna. It IS my TV antenna, I know  :oops:  My antenna mast is too short to add my groundplane antenna. I am considering adding a second mast at home, at a higher spot. I hope that on the following days weather and my wallet will allow me to do that.

Regards,

SBFI

Offline JetBlue

SBFI setup pictures
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 08:41:35 PM »
SBFI, if you do take it down, drill some extra holes in the mast, and mount the antenna for vertical instead of horizontal polarization. Your feed sounds great as it, but I bet some of the weaker transmissions I heard will come booming in.
Good job on the set up

Offline sbfi_feeder

SBFI setup pictures
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 09:50:28 PM »
Thanks for the advices guys. I am convinced that I have to change my antenna. I won't remove the TV antenna from where it is - it will be much easier (and better, because the it will be at least 8 ft taller) to add a second mast.

Cheers all,

SBFI

Offline SGAS

SBFI setup pictures
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 03:45:24 PM »
SBFI when is your feed going to be up again?

saludos desde Asuncion