airtraffic

Author Topic: What setup should i get.  (Read 13052 times)

Offline Ontza

What setup should i get.
« on: August 28, 2023, 09:03:17 AM »
Hey!

I would want to know what would be the best setup for me if i live 17km away from the airport. Oulu is a flat city so there is no hills on the way. I can get my antenna to about 5 - 4m off the ground on my roof away from powerlines and other electronics. My budget is not alot but i think its 100 - 200€‚ meaby even 300€. So i would want to know the best setup for me. :D

Offline N6RFB

Re: What setup should i get.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 06:51:48 PM »
You need a scanner with airband. I use a Uniden BC355C on my KONT feed and it works well.  I believe the newest is BC355N. They are relatively inexpensive new and downright cheap used.  They're always available on eBay, Facebook marketplace, etc.  If you want to monitor other services in your area you might want one with a few more features.  Any scanner antenna will work but one cut for airband should provide improved reception (remember to consider all the service you want to listen to).  I use a VHF Air Vertical Outdoor Base antenna from DPD Productions here in the U.S.  They ship international but I'm certain there's venders offering similar products in the E.U. Lots of info on the internet; just do some searching. Hope this helps.

Richard Bush, N6RFB
Corona, CA, USA