airtraffic

Author Topic: KSLE set up help please  (Read 17216 times)

Offline rotrhed

KSLE set up help please
« on: July 20, 2011, 04:54:13 PM »
Hi gents,
I'm new to the forums and would like to set up a feed for KSLE here in Salem, Oregon. I live about 3nm off the end of runway 34. I have an ICOM IC-A24 or IC-A6(Got it from a buddy and the manual has both on there) Air Band Transceiver but I know literally nothing about radios and how they need to be set up. If I could be guided to get an antenna that I can pick up GND/TWR/ATIS frequencies on and any other materials I would need, that would be great. I would like something fairly in-expensive but I would like something strong enough that I could pick up traffic fairly far away. 10nm or more. If that is possible. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:00:27 PM by rotrhed »

Offline Chadan

• Boone Airport
Re: KSLE set up help please
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 06:44:56 PM »
Hi Rotrhed. Have you tried tuning the frequencies in using the instructions in the manual you have? From a quick google it looks like a handheld with a built-in whip antenna. That should be good enough to pick up many airborne transmissions, but probably not ground or atis.

If you need an antenna you could use anything from coat-hanger to a store-bought model, and the choices are plentiful. Some of your questions might be answered on the LiveATC.net FAQ.

Offline K5PAT

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 09:57:19 PM »
Rotrhed,
     You will have to have two receivers if you plan to feed ATIS since a single scanner will lock up on the ATIS and will not scan over to the other freqs. Suggest you forgo the ATIS for your initial setup. You can set up the scanner to scan between TWR and GND initially.  Make sure you use a good antenna to be able to receive planes on the ground. It should be at least 20' high assuming there are no mountains/hills between you and the airport. There are several suggestions here in the forums for a good antenna. Search for Arrow antennas or J-pole antenna. If your antenna cable run is over 50' you will attain better signal strength if you use RG/8 or similar coax cable.
Good luck.
http://www.arrowantennas.com/gp/gp146.html
http://www.jpole-antenna.com/antennas/airband-j-pole-antenna/
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:18:55 PM by K5PAT »

Offline rotrhed

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 02:37:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies gents. A buddy of mine in electrical department recommended I take an aircraft antenna and get about 50' of RG59 cable and run it up on a 20-30' 1/2" pipe and get copper wire to use as a ground cable. Luckily, the national guard has bundles of used RG59 cable because it is about $80 for 50'! I ahven't had the chance to hook it up yet, but when I do, I'll post the results and some pics! Again, thank you for the assistance.

Offline jerry814

• Private pilot, retired Public Safety Proj Mgr
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 12:34:04 PM »
rotrhed, RG59 is 75 ohm (cable TV) coax and is not suitable for 50 ohm radio, which is what standard antennas deliver and the scanner expects.

Jerry814

Offline Scan-Texoma

• NCTX-Scanner
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 02:49:35 PM »
50 feet of RG-8 is pretty inexpensive at your local radio shack - If you have a Lowes or Home Depot you can purchase it there as well but you'll have to solder your ends on.