airtraffic

Author Topic: KPIT Ground/Ramp, KPIT Tower, KPIT Appreach/Departure  (Read 60624 times)

Offline PIT

KPIT Ground/Ramp, KPIT Tower, KPIT Appreach/Departure
« on: July 29, 2008, 12:04:45 AM »
I bought a new J-Pole for the KPIT feeds. So far its been really clear. I think that i need to buy a FM Trap. Sometimes I can hear 102.5 WDVE comes in overtop of people. I bought the J-Pole from KB9VBR. He does quality work and i recomend him to everyone. I use three RadioShack Pro-2052 Scanners, a Dell GX60 Tower with three sound cards, and a APC Smart-UPS 1500 to back everything up in case of a power outage.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:48:29 AM by PIT »

Offline pawarrant

Re: KPIT Ground/Ramp, KPIT Tower, KPIT Appreach/Departure
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 08:45:30 PM »
Thanks for the feeds of PIT.  I spot there quite often.

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

or on my own site:

www.tarmacphotos.com

Offline PIT

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 01:35:59 PM »
Today i added a VHF Notch Filter (FM TRAP) to the KPIT feed's. It has greatly improved the qualty of reception on the feeds.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 01:51:43 PM by PIT »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 08:14:42 AM »
The PIT feeds are sounding great!

-Dave

Offline atcman23

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 07:52:31 AM »
Very nice.  I'd listen more often but, well, PIT is pretty silent these days.  But I still listen!  Thanks! :-)

Offline EdGeneer

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 11:15:05 PM »
Greetings...

May I ask where ya scored that FM Trap?  Is there a good place you shop to get good signal filters to clean the line up?

Offline PIT

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 12:55:25 AM »
I bought mine from universal-radio http://www.universal-radio.com/ http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/filters/0098.html I ordered it on 8/18/08 but didn't receive it until 11/13/08. They claim its on backorder because PAR, the company that makes the filter is to busy filling orders for the military and does not have time for amateur radio. When I bought mine it was about $90.00. Its now only about $70.00 or so. This filter did wonders for me. If I would turn the squelch up all the way i could faintly hear the radio station 102.5 WDVE. Now with the trap I don't get any interference besides noise from the line. I already have a J-Pole and im looking to get a directional antenna in addition to the J-pole to try and pick up ground traffic. I already pick it up but only at certain times of the day.

Offline EdGeneer

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 02:39:01 AM »
I just ordered my rg-8x wire and some connectors from them. Hopefully it wont take a month to get that. ;)

If I get FM intereference, I know where to get a trap now, thanks... (if they have it ofcourse)

I set up the server machine last week, and the mobo is toast (used it becasue i had it, but its old and tired), so i ordered a 2.4 setup mobo and processor, and harddrive for not much at all, so, when all these goodies trickle in, ill have my feeds up and flying here in a bit... cant wait... in the end, its going to be a much better setup, but, got to reinstall the os 'again' and im going with a two soundcard deal like your three, and run the two scanners... Ill have pics of the goodies when things get setup...

I thought this would be easier, but its still fun....

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 02:35:48 PM »
This is the filter you want:

http://www.scannermaster.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=24-531024&Click=48824

It is out of stock right now but check with ScannerMaster and find out when it will be back in stock.

Offline EdGeneer

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 11:24:12 PM »
What would be interesting would be a graphed curve on both units, because the specs explain some notches but state different useable frequency ranges. The one from scannermaster states useable frequencies start back at 118.000+ and the one from universal radio state the notch ending at 108.000... i wonder if the 118 up is giving 118 at untouched dB reduction.

Ill fight with that if I get interference... they seem to be comperably priced...

I finally got the cable and connectors... so h*ll or high water, its going up this weekend... ill post pictures of related equipment for all us gearheads to ooh and ahhh over :)

I need to figure out how to setup two feeds on the software, but Ill ask dave how to do that shortly :)

Offline PIT

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 02:32:56 AM »
awesome i cant wait to see/listen!

Offline EdGeneer

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 11:56:12 PM »
Ill keep the description brief, this is your thread (pit), but the server machine i built suffered HD failure... Got a new HD and installing it now.... the HD I bought for it before this one (full server story when i post the pics of the feed), lasted 4 days, enough time to install os and updates and drivers before going Tango Uniform on me.... I thought it was a new OEM 80gig HD but after firther inspection, is refurbished... The palce i got it from is willing to excahnge for another refurbished... nah, they are good enough to refund my money, so I did buy another new HD and its getting installed now....

Sheesh... I wish I knew it was a bad drive BEFORE all the isntallation, oh well, its practice, right??? heheheh :)

I hope to have it rollin by this monday... Ill post when she's live.... :)

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 10:23:01 AM »
Sheesh... I wish I knew it was a bad drive BEFORE all the isntallation, oh well, its practice, right??? heheheh :)

Acronis True Image, whether you are running Linux or Windows, makes a complete image backup of your system hard drive, including the locked files.  When I install a laptop or desktop to act as a feed computer one of the important next steps I do is to immediately run True Image on the computer to make a backup to DVD (or CD, depending on how old the computer is).  This way, if the hard drive then shi... er... poops the bed I can restore the image fairly quickly after replacing the drive. 

Having used the restore feature once (for a desktop computer) I can attest to the software's capabilities.  It literally takes about 15 minutes to run the restore and the computer is not only boot-able, but also full functional as it was from that backup point.

But, to empathize with you, my first attempt at feeding SYR ended the same way.  A circa-1996 Gateway laptop served as my first feed computer and perhaps two weeks into being live with the feed the hard drive seized up (no backup back then) from overheating.   

Good luck and again, looking forward to listening.

Offline EdGeneer

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 12:51:53 AM »
Nice, ... as they say, necessity is the mother of invention... I'm sure were not the only fools in need of such a software function :)

I've needed that program more than once in the past. Can probably count on both hands as many times.

Offline atc614

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 08:34:46 PM »
hey do you have a brother name GARY??

Offline EdGeneer

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 12:34:54 AM »
No brother named Gary.... (if you meant that question towards me, that is :) )

Offline PIT

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 12:06:51 AM »
It was for me, yes I do

Offline atc614

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 10:42:08 PM »
yah i work with him and i had mentioned that i use this website alot because im an atc major. he told me that you had a set up and i showed him your pics and he confirmed it was you.

Offline PIT

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 02:29:01 PM »
haha, small world. He graduates in May so ill be down for that. He will have to introduce me to you.

Offline PIT

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 03:33:15 PM »
New antenna and coax run. The antenna is obviously a J-POLE.

Offline spudsmac

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
yah i work with him and i had mentioned that i use this website alot because im an atc major. he told me that you had a set up and i showed him your pics and he confirmed it was you.

You go to Riddle?

Offline smeuse

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 07:51:52 PM »
What would be interesting would be a graphed curve on both units, because the specs explain some notches but state different useable frequency ranges. The one from scannermaster states useable frequencies start back at 118.000+ and the one from universal radio state the notch ending at 108.000... i wonder if the 118 up is giving 118 at untouched dB reduction.

a little late, but....

Here is a sweep of the HPN-30118. My service monitor doesn't have markers, so I had to add some graphics.

Offline EdGeneer

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 01:29:50 PM »
Cool, thanks.... If I'm reading the first one correctly, you can really see the 30db drop... Thanks for posting those...

Offline mtindor

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Quote from: smeuse
a little late, but....

Here is a sweep of the HPN-30118. My service monitor doesn't have markers, so I had to add some graphics.

Would I be correct that in your full notch (pic #1), those are 100 Mhz segments on the scope?    And on the second pic (showing VHF-low and the FM notch) those are 10 Mhz segments?

I am thinking about getting one of these, but I feed multiple scanners and I'd really hate to be 10 db+ down from 34 Mhz and lower.   I was hoping the high pass filter effects would be minimal at 30 Mhz.

mike

Offline caphab1

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 11:08:56 PM »
Hello All. New to the liveatc website, but always been an aviation fanatic.  I am always tracking flights and listening to them too.  I live in Phoenix Arizona, but when I have friends that fly into PIT, I am always listening to this feed. Its great to see what the machines that make the feeds run look like and how they operate.  I am a repeater installer as well.

I have to say this has great coverage too.  Like u said PIT, theres only one thing that could make it better, and that is constant ground traffic coverage.

From Mesa AZ
KF7NJD