airtraffic

Author Topic: KPIE - St. Petersburg / Clearwater, FL - Now online  (Read 19999 times)

Offline Florida_Flyboy

• KPIE Live
KPIE - St. Petersburg / Clearwater, FL - Now online
« on: December 03, 2009, 11:39:09 PM »
New Feed, up and running.
I'm a pilot, I fly out of KPIE.
I normally have a scanner running 24/7 on KPIE's frequency in my workshop anyway... so why not share it, I thought.

I have to admit that it's all using old "junker" equipment I had laying around - including a Pentium II Toughbook! (Guess it is pretty tough... it's still chugging along!).  The antenna is a simple 1/4 wave (seen mounted above my HD Radio Yagi).

Even though the radio runs 24/7, please remember that KPIE is Class D from 1100 Zulu to 0400 Zulu after which time the Tower closes and the airspace becomes Class E where pilots use the tower frequency as the CTAF.  Flight Services St. Petersburg uses the frequency during these "off-hours" to provide advisories and IFR services.

KPIE is home to 3 low-cost commercial airlines: Allegiant, USA3000, and SunWing. It is also the home to The largest Coast Guard air base in the Southeast. United Parcel Service (UPS) has a hub at KPIE, The Pinellas County sheriff flies it's choppers from here, and Metro-One is our local news copter.  Also located at KPIE is Avantair, a dealer and training depot for the fantastic Piaggio aircraft.
There are two helicopter training schools, three flight training schools, and one Airframe and Powerplant training school located at KPIE. Well over a hundred beautiful private aircraft and jets roost at KPIE. Citations, Leer's, Cessnas, Pipers, King Airs, Long EZs and even some privately owned restored military aircraft. The field is serviced by the main public terminal building and two private FBO's: Sheltair and Signature Flight Service.

KPIE has four major runways 17L/35R, 4/22, 9/27, and 17R/35L which is also taxiway Alpha. The longest is over 9,700 feet.

When AirForce One visits the Tampa area, it does not usually land at MacDill AFB... it normally lands at KPIE.
Also you commonly see John Travolta's 707 land and take off at KPIE when he has business in Clearwater.

KPIE also serves as an Air Traffic Controller training facility. It controls a 5-mile ring from surface to 1600 feet, which is overlaid by Tampa's Class Bravo. It's is a remarkable airport to fly from. When departing 35R you get a breathtaking view of old Tampa Bay directly in front of you and to your right (East).  

Ok - that's my $0.02
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Eric
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 07:54:13 AM by Florida_Flyboy »

Offline Camcanfly

• KTPA Tower
Re: KPIE - St. Petersburg / Clearwater, FL - Now online
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 11:50:31 PM »
Awsome.. Thanks Eric

Offline dan9125

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 09:16:59 PM »
Looks like a marine radio on top of the scanner (i have one just like it) :wink:

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 09:27:46 AM »
Welcome aboard Eric!

Offline mgrowe

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 02:51:10 PM »
I work by kpie and often sit by the golf course to watch.  What is that 727 or737 i see sitting there.  It hasnt move in a long time, is it private??

Offline Florida_Flyboy

• KPIE Live
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 06:29:18 AM »
I've gotten emailed a couple of times asking what happened to the KPIE (St. Petersburg / Clearwater Int, FL) feed.
The feed was running on an old Panasonic Toughbook, and the hard drive failed. I guess the hard drive is unique in that the cost to replace it far exceeds the value of the computer.

If I can find a replacement, or a different computer or some other alternative... I'll put the feed back up.

-Eric

Offline Camcanfly

• KTPA Tower
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 12:27:52 PM »
I will make a call later maybe I can get you one free!!!