Author Topic: KOAK Setup Pics  (Read 15949 times)

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
KOAK Setup Pics
« on: January 08, 2009, 09:52:06 AM »
Here is a snapshot of my KOAK feed setup.

The device on top of the scanners is a USB audio device which digitizes the audio from the scanners.
I have no stereo inputs on my laptop so I am using this method to broadcast both left and right channels on a single feed.

Antenna is a DPD Productions VHF Air Vertical Outdoor Model. I painted the stock grey PVC antenna with a coat of white high gloss paint and added some decals to "liven" it up a little.

Finally got around to building the beam antenna after seeing the plans Dave posted. See vjb-airband.pdf in his original thread.
http://www.liveatc.net/forums/listener-forum/airband-yagi-antenna-designs/
Performs well. Plan to make a 4 element next with aluminum boom instead of wood as you see here. Makes good wall art too!  :-D

Ken
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 01:01:46 AM by Squawk 7700 »

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: KOAK Setup Picture
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 10:20:27 AM »
Very nice.  Your clever setup has always been an inspiration to me and I may be duplicating your setup for the SYR feed soon.   Have your listeners commented on the concept of being able to slide between the two channels for the different frequencies?  What do they think about it?

My dream for the SYR feed would be to have it located at one of the FBOs up at SYR airport, with an external j-pole antenna feeding two scanners.   One of the scanners would be receiving ground and clearance and that audio sent to the left channel of the feed.  The second scanner would be receiving tower and approach and that audio would then be sent to the right channel of the feed.

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: KOAK Setup Picture
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 10:22:52 AM »
Ha, just noticed the little jet trinkets flanking the audio input device.  Nice touch!  :)

Offline EdGeneer

Re: KOAK Setup Pics
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 11:41:28 PM »
Awefully nice piece of hardware used to eventually downsample it to 11k audio stream :)

If ya can, get a couple of cheap usb sound devices for the inputs, and use the lexicon for something more pro... But if ya have an extra lexicon lambda laying around with nothing to do, then nevermind... Nothing but the best for the feed ;)

Then again, Im using a Turtle Beach for one of my feed inputs (when i ever get it up, this weekend hopefully)... not the best ad/da converters, but a nice soundcard...

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 11:48:52 PM »
Awefully nice piece of hardware used to eventually downsample it to 11k audio stream :)

Shhh... he actually doesn't downsample it by that much....  don't tell anyone.   :wink:

Offline EdGeneer

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 11:56:26 PM »
I won't tell his isp :)

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 12:16:13 AM »
Ahh yes.. the things we do to please the folks at LiveATC... :-D

Offline EdGeneer

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 12:54:50 AM »
As long as the neighbors dont blame us for the interference on the tv, like they do the ham'ers.....

:)