Author Topic: KGPT setup  (Read 17415 times)

Offline hammack

KGPT setup
« on: February 07, 2009, 08:27:27 PM »
Here's the setup at KGPT.  The scanner is a Radio Shack Pro-90 using a home-made 2m ground plane antenna cut to aviation frequencies.

http://gotslack.org/hammack/kgpt

I have an Arrow Antenna j-pole in a box, waiting for the stars to align so I can get a mast erected.  Maybe it will end up in the attic, too...

The computer on the right handles the KGPT feed and is a 333 MHz Pentium running Slackware 10.0.  (The other computer is my "good" computer - an Athlon XP 1900+ running Slackware 12.2)

"Proud to be
Microsoft-free."

KD5IVL, Mississippi Gulf Coast
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 08:29:01 PM by hammack »

Offline EdGeneer

Re: KGPT setup
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 12:25:58 PM »
How far from the field are you? Having a metal roof, I was forced, gladly, to put a j-pole outsude and high. Wished I could get about 6 more feet in hight, but its above the quarter wave dist from the metal.

If you can swing it, getting a pole outside and high should get you great reception, already receiving field ground traffic and the transmitters from the attic. Plus, it's alot more fun having a huge antenna attached to the side of your abode rather than hidden, I would think (huge grin)....

Offline Marty Becker

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 07:38:56 PM »
Would the OSJ - Model OSJ 146/440 Dual Band J-Pole from Arrow Antennas be the one to choose for monitoring the aviation band, or would it need to be cut to the aviation frequency band?

Offline hammack

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 10:35:58 PM »
The Arrow antenna I have is for 2m amateur radio (~144 MHz, ~19.5 in.) so is actually a little short for aviation frequencies (~125 MHz, ~22.5 in.) but seems to work fine for the scanner.

I'm about 9 miles from the airport, so with the homemade antenna in the attic I don't get great reception.  I've hooked up the Arrow j-pole in the attic and it seems to work better, even though it's a few inches short.  I hope to get it up on a mast soon, but I have a few house repairs that my wife feels are more important.  ;-)

Offline davidnduhe

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 10:27:18 AM »
Hammack, do you have plans on getting the GPT feed back up? Thanks!

David

Offline hammack

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 09:40:18 AM »
 The feed should be back up now.  I'm having problems with the antique computer I'm using, so there may be more outages until I get it replaced.  I'll try to do a better job of keeping an eye on it, though.