airtraffic

Author Topic: KGFL - Area Unicom Feed, ZBW_CAM Sector Feed Pics  (Read 21600 times)

Offline EdGeneer

KGFL - Area Unicom Feed, ZBW_CAM Sector Feed Pics
« on: January 19, 2009, 02:39:10 PM »
KGFL Unicom and area freq's including Albany (KALB) APP/DEP flights North of the field and ZBW_CAM (Boston CTR - Cambridge) Sector Feed Pics...

The story:
First, tried to make feed server from an older P4 1.4 AMD processor and asus mobo w/ 512ram, 20 Gig HD (ran very sloooooowww). But, for some reason, the mobo and or proccessor wouldnt clock more than 100mhz FSB so the clock only allowed a 1.01mhz processor speed. Every time I went into the BIOS, the Hardware page that changed these goodies locked up and thus told me that even after a BIOS flash, that it wasnt going to cooperate. So. OS install #1 no good...

I bought a 2.4 P4 Intel w/ asus mobo and 1 gig ram online, used... along with a reconditioned hd 80gig (I wasnt told it was refurbished, says in small print on the label that ofcourse, I didnt read being excited it was 'new' and slapped it in) drive lasted 4 days, enough time to install os, fully update and install all drivers and goodies... then took a cr*p... Went Tango Uniform on me... Lovely....

So, bought a new Western Digital 160Gig and all new ribbon cables just to be safe. Installed OS and drivers and updates and software a 3rd time... (mabey its a charm, er something)... And now, perhaps from using different scanners, Im getting a scanning click every time the scan cycles on one of the scanners. No matter what combination I use, at least ONE of the scanners has a very audible click when the other is cycling freq's.

I ordered an identical scanner to the Pro-2040 scanner I use for ZBW and that one sounds great, so, hopefully identical scanners will minimize this effect... I wonder if each scanner has a resistance unique to its model, and thus forces the adjacent attatched scanner to read its cycle if the other scanner has a higher or lowere resistance on the signal in, er something... Im just fishing at straws, becasue, it changes depending on the combination of scanners attatched...

So, when the new 2040 comes in it will be replacing the handheld i replaced the 2039 with. when the 2039 is attatched, the click comes out of the 2040 I am using for ZBW which I want to sound great, the traffic on that is far more frequent than the KGFL and area Unicoms.

So, I will update pics when that one comes in and I really hope that minimizes the clicks...

Update: 02/02/09
Added Bearcat BCT15's, clicking disapeared....
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:28:28 PM by EdGeneer »

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: KGFL - Area Unicom Feed, ZBW_CAM Sector Feed Pics
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 03:15:44 PM »
Very impressive setup, Ed.  I especially like your antenna option - that certainly boosts your signal strength.   

I assume your feed is live but I don't see it listed yet.  Do you have the link to the mount point?  I would like to take a listen.

Offline EdGeneer

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 03:32:59 PM »
http://d.liveatc.net/kgfl.m3u - has the clicking...
http://d.liveatc.net/zbw_cam.m3u - Alot more traffic...

Update: 02/02/09
No More clicking!!!!  (2) Bearcat BCT15's
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:23:33 PM by EdGeneer »

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 04:10:31 PM »
Remind me again what sector/frequency the second link is? 

It sounds very clear, by the way.  Nice job.

Offline EdGeneer

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 04:28:51 PM »
Here is information Dave sent me last night when we were deciding which frequencies to use pertinant to close sectors and what would be best for 2-way communication reception.

Primary Frequency: 135.32/360.6 - RCAG Sites: BDL/GFL.

Backup Frequency. 128.32/348.7 - RCAG Sites: GFL/CON - Primary control
frequency for Sector 39.

AWACS/Backup Frequency - 133.62/354.1 - RCAG Site: GFL.

Sector 39 CAM
Sector 39 is the high altitude, west departure sector for Boston metro.
 Traffic is primarily westbound, handed off from Sector 37, and climbing
to en route flight levels.  New York departure traffic crosses the
Boston departure track about 30 NM west of MHT.  Sector 39 is also
responsible for sequencing high altitude NY arrival traffic flight
planned over ALB.  Sector 39 owns all airspace within its lateral
boundaries at and above FL240.  When Sector 39 is combined with Sector
38, they are normally combined at Sector 38.  During the midnight shift,
all Area B sectors are combined at Sector 38.

Frequency Information:

Primary Frequency - 128.32/348.7 - RCAG Sites: GFL/CON.

AWACS/Backup Frequency - 133.62/354.1 - RCAG: GFL - Backup frequency for
Sectors 38 and 53 and Area A.

so, what im using is.... 128.3250, 133.6250, 135.3250, and 121.3500

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 09:25:58 AM »
It's always neat to see what the other setups look like and the surrounding shack, antenna, etc...
Thanks for sharing the pics!  :-D

Offline EdGeneer

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 07:14:11 PM »
I know, its cool to see the other pics. I went through all the back posts i could in the pic forum to see all the setups... Being a gearhead, ofcourse I had to see who's usin' what :)

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 07:18:56 PM »
I know, its cool to see the other pics. I went through all the back posts i could in the pic forum to see all the setups...

I suppose I should get around to posting pics of my setup.  Heck, it's only been almost four years since my feed has been joining this party.

Offline EdGeneer

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 10:04:17 PM »
Yea, get some pic up... :) (listen to me, ive been here for mere days, and im barkin orders to get pics up (grin)).. i dont suppose it has to be pretty. i'm actually thinking of separating the scanners from the cpu's. i get some intereference with the close proximity. its not a ton, but im sure it wouldnt hurt to get a little separation since the scanners are plastic casing instead of metal...

the new 2040 scanner is on the way, when it arrives, ill post poics of its new position, and report any increase in quiet operation, plus give a full list of hardware and feed line equipment...

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 12:02:16 AM »
Yea, get some pic up... :) (listen to me, ive been here for mere days, and im barkin orders to get pics up (grin))

Ah, don't worry about that.  You put up so you don't have to shut up.  :)   I will get some pics up over the next few days.  You have inspired me. 

Offline EdGeneer

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 10:24:50 PM »
Well, I got the indentical pro 2040 scanner in, and they both click now, darnit!!!!! I dont know what to do, no matter WHAT combination I use, at least ONE clicks when the other is scanning...

How do you guys run multiple scanners and dont get clicks in the feeds????? Im stumped.... I am almost ready to go out and buy 2 brand new scanners to run.... but i dont want to spend the cash and find out they too will click....

Im out of ideas.... unless the pro2040's are so old they as well as the 2039 are jsut going to do so, and newer scanners dont have this problem....

Ideas anyone>???

Offline EdGeneer

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 06:26:29 PM »
No More clicking.... Modern scanners seem to do the trick.... I AM cureous as to the feeds with a splitter and older scanners... I am going to test this so we have some ideas as to future problems that we can direct folks to fix the issue...

Ill post info as to what I find out....

They are so nice, and very complex, a kind of overkill for a few frequencies, but its only money... I dont need to eat for a few months... that will help pay for them :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:29:14 PM by EdGeneer »

Offline EdGeneer

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 02:15:15 AM »
Nope, old scanners are old scanners, and click, no matter what is connected to them. I used the splitter and they still made a very audible click.

New scanners are nicer :) Overkill for what we do, but ALOT quieter and nicer :)