airtraffic

Author Topic: KBVI Setup  (Read 33065 times)

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
KBVI Setup
« on: July 02, 2005, 08:10:27 PM »
This is a VHF antenna which our feed is received through.  It's located on the airport about 3/4 mile from the tower.  I'm told it would be great for transmitting, but we use it to receive only.  It measures about 5 feet tall and is approx 4 inches in diameter.

The scanner is old but reliable.  And I had to use speaker wire with 1/8" miniplugs to span the 75 feet between the scanner and computer.  It was either that or 75 feet of BNC cord.  This was cheaper.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
KBVI Setup
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 11:22:38 AM »
What type of VHF antenna is that?  Looks very interesting....  Looks fairly secure.

Thanks,

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
antenna type
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 05:34:53 PM »
I'm not sure exactly.  We've been told they're frequently used by the military.  It's range it very good, we can receicve PIT which is located 21 miles SE of us and although the quality is not great, we can hear the controllers.  It's one of three mounted to that wall, and yes, they're quite secure.

Offline Sirclown82

KBVI Setup
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 02:31:50 PM »
That is a high-gain VHF antenna with a weather shield at the connection point.  I have used shield like that on my antennas for years because they reduce corrosion tremendously, so you dont get a rusted shield or conductor in the coax.

Chris
DFW

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
VHF antenna
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 08:12:55 PM »
Chris,

thanks for the info.

Offline Ivo-KCLT

• http://kclt.dyndns.org
Thanks for putting a station at KBVI
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 11:35:55 PM »
Thanks for putting a station at KBVI. 15+ years ago I used to live in Ambridge and would listen for hours to the scanner as a kid. It's been years since I've heard KBVI.