Author Topic: KBGR - New Antenna  (Read 24219 times)

Offline Crewdawg368

KBGR - New Antenna
« on: July 23, 2014, 01:32:15 PM »
A new outdoor antenna has been installed for KBGR.

The feed sounds much better and we are getting aircraft from much further away. We can now hear Boston center aircraft and controllers clearly most of the time.

Have a listen.

Offline RonR

Re: KBGR - New Antenna
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 05:51:59 PM »
Nice! It sounds great!  Just wondering, what frequencies are you scanning?  It looks like you're scanning ZBW 124.25 and you can hear the controller on that frequency.  Any other frequencies you're scanning besides the ones listed on the liveatc page?

Ron

Offline kinabalu tower

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 06:11:13 AM »
Wow.. it looks good.

Just two silly questions... what is the thingy under the arrow air band antenna? Above the coil of coax? And the winegard antenna is for TV? Thanks.

Offline Lynch_Christopher

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 02:17:47 AM »
Nice setup. Sounds great! How far BGR are you?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 10:44:25 PM »
This setup is right at KBGR.

Offline Crewdawg368

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 02:01:28 PM »
There are a couple more freqs I just don't remember what they are. Dave and I were experimenting with trying to get center freqs up. They didn't affect the feed until the new antenna was installed.

Under the air band antenna is a Channel Master Titan 2 preamplifier. I was doing another TV monitoring project, once we settled on the winegaurd antenna we didn't need the external preamps since its built into that antenna, so I decided to give it a try on the KBGR feed. It is a 30 MHz to 1002 MHz amp with 30db gain. The RG6 cables runs are 100ft and then it goes to a 4 way splitter, which reduces the gain and keeps it from overloading the scanner.

We are located on the airfield, this is on top of one of the maintenance hangars.

Missing from the photo are the two additional antennas now out there. A 1090mhz Mode-S antenna feeding FlightRadar24 and FlightAware, and a UHF yagi antenna for television monitoring.