airtraffic

Author Topic: In Cockpit Voice Recording  (Read 17061 times)

Offline Trevor KJ6RPM

In Cockpit Voice Recording
« on: May 01, 2012, 11:35:33 PM »
Hey guys i know its not exactly a setup picture post but i thought some of you pilots might have some pics of your in cockpit voice recording patch cord setup.  I am going on a flight lesson saturday and was wondering if i could simply buy a 1/4 inch to microhone in adapter to a mic in jack cable for the recording of my comms. How can i make this if i can and if i cant really build one how can i get a cheap patch cord that would be good enough for me.

Offline SoCal Pilot

Re: In Cockpit Voice Recording
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 01:28:32 AM »
You can buy adapters specifically for that through Marv Golden Pilot Supplies...or Aircraft Spruce.  You could use a basic splitter from radio shack, but if you want to play it safe and not do damage to the aircraft's intercom, I would buy one from a catalog.  I purchased one from Marv Golden, and record audio on a Sony personal digital recorder.  It splits off the headset...not the mic...that way you can hear everything.  I have a few videos on my youtube channel (link below) if you want to hear some samples of it mixed in with the video.  Hope this helps.  Good luck with the lessons!

www.youtube.com/909kick

Offline thegazelle

Re: In Cockpit Voice Recording
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 04:59:38 PM »
Olympus makes a device (model TP-7) that costs about $15. Its for use on a phone, but it'll work in cockpit given that you can hear yourself in the headset. I've yet to try it in the cockpit myself though as I always forget to stick it in my flight bag, but the quality is surprisingly clear on a phone.

Got mine from Amazon.