Author Topic: homemade antenna?  (Read 17601 times)

Offline Imran K.

homemade antenna?
« on: May 14, 2007, 01:40:46 AM »
Hi there everybody...

I've got a Uniden Bearcat (UBC30XLT) and I recently purchased a third-party telescopic antenna to extend the receiving range of the scanner. :-)

However.... :-o

Being a clumsy idiot...i accidentally stepped on the antenna whilst it was layed down on the floor and snapped roughly 35% of the antenna CLEAN off the rest of the piece. Thus...the receiving range is somewhat limited now... :cry:

Can anybody point me in the right direction as to how a homemade antenna could be created to extend my receiving range? Perhaps as an extention to the existing piece? A piece of wire perhaps?

If the ideas work...a new feed could be up...(*hint*...Northern Git isn't the only one in OMDB).. :-D

Offline martgenia

• Municipality of Tlaltenango, where MMPBC is located!!
Re: homemade antenna?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 01:59:58 PM »
Yes, a piece of wire will do the trick but you have to take a long piece (maybe 5 meters) and start clipping until you get the desired results (I did it with a RS 2032 scanner) problem is it is limited, I made an antenna with a female UHF connectors and 5 radials (made out of hanger wire) and tuned to 118,2 (plans are here somewhere in this site) and works perfectly It does not look PRO but that way people believes you built it (actually I have 2 of those) and plan on another 4 (two more on my roof and 2 for my business for RR freqs)

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
Re: homemade antenna?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:32:56 AM »
Here is a homemade antenna you can take a look at. The Slim Jim Antenna: http://www.m0ukd.com/Calculators/Slim_Jim/index.php

Enter your desired frequency and the other fields will populate with the proper dimensions.

"Work in Progress" photos can be seen on my Flickr Site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34848377@N07/sets/72157622515992644/

Ken
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 05:11:01 PM by Squawk 7700 »