Author Topic: Help Needed: Trying to set up a LiveATC feed at Valencia international Airport  (Read 13074 times)

Offline Marcos

Hello,

I'm requesting some help since I don't know too much about radios. I live about 41 nautic miles(nm) form the Valencia International Aiport, but there's no almost mountain or obstacle between my house and the airport.
My idea is buying a Transceptor(like Yaesu VX-7R or Icom IC-A6, which is the best portable transceptor for aeronautical band?) and then buying a good antenna, like 2 meters or so. A friend told me that I'd get to listen the Valencia transmission but I'm not sure and that's the reason why I'm asking here for help before doing the investment.

What'd you do in my situation?is it worth to spend the money on this? Will I be able to listen to the communications? If so, how about the quality?

Thank's in advance!

Offline MathFox

• The Flying Fox
See the FAQ: http://www.liveatc.net/forums/index.php/topic,1000.0.html

40 mile is a large distance... I am sure you'll be able to pick up some of the planes, but receiving the controller would be unlikely.

Offline Ike

I am not an expert in radio, but there is a formula to figure out the max range you can receive the transmissions. VHF is line of site. So I believe if you can see the airport from the  top of your antenna, you are good, but it would need to be a very tall antenna.
I think you are outa luck at 41 miles for the tower, but the good news is you can hear the aircraft transmissions because they are flying at altitude. Sometimes there exist atmospheric conditions that cause a "skip". In this case you could hear both sides of the transmission.

Offline Ike

Okay, I found the formula. The mile distance is equal to the antenna emultiplied by 1.415.

Distance = 1.415 X height in feet

So, if the tower transmitter is mounted at 40 feet and your antenna is mounted at 6 feet, add the miles together from both formulas and this is the "unobstructed" distance a strong VHF transmitter can be monitored by a receiver.

Offline Marcos

First of all, thank you for posting replies.
Second:

If the feed it's not OK for LiveATC.net, anyway I can have for my own hobbie, so this is not a problem.

The antena will be about 15 feet so using the formula(thx Ike) it says distance 21.225 miles. I know it's not enough to reach the airport but at least I'll be able to listen the pilots flying over here and a local aiport, located 3km away from here.

Any other tips?Any special antenna type?

Thx