airtraffic

Author Topic: Great J-pole antenna + SEA final feed?  (Read 15262 times)

Offline gmwnet

• My Blog
Great J-pole antenna + SEA final feed?
« on: August 06, 2007, 10:50:55 PM »
This is not an ad, I promise!  But I just got a J-pole antenna from KB9VBR.

This antenna works fantastically great.  I’m receiving crystal clear transmissions that I couldn’t before.  I’m 10 miles from the airport on a hill, but the airport is on a hill as well with the Seattle skyscrapers between us.  Reception is stellar.  Plus when I asked he tuned it for the exact frequency I was looking to scan free of charge!

http://www.kb9vbr.com/jpole.php

So I'm now receiving Seattle final on 133.65 very well and hearing every single transmission.  Thinking about offering this feed to LiveATC -- I have it streaming to my server as a test right now.  I know Seattle is well covered, but I like to listen to one frequency and not hop-around.  And Seattle final sure gets busy in the afternoon and surprisingly in the late evening (guess from those late transcons from the east perhaps, plus redeyes from Seattle)

-Garrett
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 10:53:20 PM by gmwnet »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: Great J-pole antenna + SEA final feed?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 07:46:00 AM »
We're interested in all feeds, no matter how big or small.  The main criterion is getting decent to excellent reception.

Let me know privately if you're willing to feed.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline gmwnet

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 11:08:33 AM »
PM with demo link sent! :)

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 12:25:16 PM »
I recently upgraded the KSYR feed to a j-pole antenna from that same source and I cannot say I am overly impressed just yet.

With the older Radio Shack discone antenna the feed was able to receive traffic approaching from the south and that approaching from the west at a greater distance than what it appears to be pulling in now.

I am curious if the j-pole antenna is more sensitive to direction, perhaps?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 01:05:26 PM »
I recently upgraded the KSYR feed to a j-pole antenna from that same source and I cannot say I am overly impressed just yet.

With the older Radio Shack discone antenna the feed was able to receive traffic approaching from the south and that approaching from the west at a greater distance than what it appears to be pulling in now.

I am curious if the j-pole antenna is more sensitive to direction, perhaps?

Peter-

It should be close to omnidirectional - pattern depends more on surrounding objects.  The discone and j-pole may have slightly different radiation characteristics, but both should generally be omni.

Dave

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 02:56:02 PM »
Thanks, Dave, for the info.  Perhaps I am being overly critical since the change.