airtraffic

Author Topic: antenna for an icom ic-r1 to use it to hear the air-band  (Read 17219 times)

Offline yankee-sierra

antenna for an icom ic-r1 to use it to hear the air-band
« on: August 10, 2006, 09:13:38 PM »
HI GUYS, im francisco from El Salvador, i would like to know what antenna to use to put it to my icom ic-r1(specially to get the air-band transmissions),(or later if the situation improves,i will probably buy an icom ic-a6 air-band transceiver and a radioshack base scanner).I have the antenna supplied with the receiver but it only catches the airport when im outside the house, the airport,ilopango (MSSS) is about 9.5 km away from my house without any important obstructions.. and the other airport(comalapa-MSLP) is like 40 kms from my house with a 600 meters hill obstruction,i've tried to pick up the signal of MSLP-comalapa but only when im in the roof i only can pick the ATIS but very very poor.i already have 30 meters of rg-58u coaxial cable and the audio cable, i only need the antenna.do you think the shorter the coaxial is, there will be better reception?i have connected the receiver to the antenna and is left like 15 meters of cable.. thank guys, and when im done with this i hope , i will post ILOPANGO(MSSS),COMALAPA(MSLP)-El Salvador feed to LIVEATC.NET thanks...........

Offline gustavob

• Panama Flag
Re: antenna for an icom ic-r1 to use it to hear the air-band
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 11:14:53 PM »
Any news or updates on this???

Sadly, I'm no expert as other folks here are on the subject, so I can't help you on the antenna selection, maybe you could build up a J-pole? It is not that hard if you have all the material.
On the other hand, you can always search through other posts on this forum for possible hints...

Offline Carmelo

Re: antenna for an icom ic-r1 to use it to hear the air-band
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 12:20:04 AM »
Gday Francisco a Discone Antenna will work excellent on your ICOM-R1.

Regards Lino.