Author Topic: Storm knocks down scoreboard, TV towers & my antenna  (Read 7036 times)

Offline captkel

Storm knocks down scoreboard, TV towers & my antenna
« on: March 10, 2011, 07:34:41 PM »
It also flipped a Cessna 152 on to a Piper Seneca at FXE  Ft. Lauderdale Executive Airport. I'm about 10 miles north west of FXE.

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/sports/21003749025115/

Doral is in Miami Florida, Tamarac & Oakland Park are part of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

On my end, the storm bent the 1 1/2" portion of my mast & snapped my VHF quagi just above the driven element :-o
The quagi is for the Miami Center ZMA West Palm Beach feed...SO needles to say it will be in suck mode for a few days until repairs can be made. The antenna on top is a corner reflector and is working OK :lol:  I use it for the Miami Apporach / Departure and Miami Center ZMA R-40 Bimini Sector feeds.
 Also the pool was a mess, I cleaned that up.
oh well...it never ends...

KEL

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: Storm knocks down scoreboard, TV towers & my antenna
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 07:47:09 PM »
Ugh.  But just think of the 350 days of gorgeous weather you get down there!

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 07:56:11 PM »
I was stormchasing in the area today and was as far south as Parkland and they weren't that bad . Lots of rain w/winds up to about 50 as well as a few flashes and thunder's. There was a report of a tornado yet to be confirmed at Key Biscayne.  You'll have that mess taken cre of in a jiff Kellan if I know you .

Offline captkel

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 08:28:39 PM »
Ugh.  But just think of the 350 days of gorgeous weather you get down there!

I know :-D :-D :-D :evil:

And...ya I'll fix it all up in a jiff. This time it will be (you know the commercial) better then new.
I'll have to reinforce the wooden mast (16' long) with metal or I'll make the mast out of aluminum like I should have...lessens learned :roll:

KEL

Offline captkel

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 08:40:17 PM »
Hay Dave I don't know if you frequent the RR website, If so check out the Military forum. I have been working on some UHF military antennas with so so results and I suddenly became intrigued with receiving  military Frequencies. I got the real deal antenna, pre amp, etc. on the way. I'm going to give it a shot...will see what happens :-D

KEL

Offline captkel

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 03:33:09 AM »
About 10:00 PM local time Thursday night I was out side, I heard a loud boom from a power transformer and the electric went out. They got it repaired around 2:30 Am Friday morning. I got up to reset everything in my home...many things where beeping, all the lights where on. Anyways all the feeds are back up & I'm going back to bed!! :wink:

KEL