Author Topic: Reno Air Race Coverage?  (Read 22991 times)

Offline rbrong

Reno Air Race Coverage?
« on: August 03, 2008, 05:27:58 PM »
Dear Listeners,

I've been playing around with scanner #2 lately and realized that I can pick up traffic near Stead Airport (4SD - about 25 miles from my feed site).  I haven't yet determined how well and how reliable my coverage will be but if it goes well I may be able to provide a feed during the Reno Air Races coming up next month!  I will test the waters as the Air Races ramp up.  During the races, if I can provide a good feed would listeners have interest?

Let me know and I'll see what I can do.  The more interest the more effort I'll put in. 

Cheers -

Richard
KRNO

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: Reno Air Race Coverage?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 10:14:45 AM »
This would be cool!  We can showcase the feed and try to generate some interest via AvWeb, AOPA, etc.

Let me know if you get enough interest in this.

Dave

Offline tyketto

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 01:25:05 PM »
Brutal!

Question though.. I am assuming you must be up by Sparks, yet close enough to pick up RNO Tower, let alone the TRACON. But with 4SD being some 20something miles from you, are you able to pick up the temporary tower they set up there?

BL.

Offline rbrong

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 12:37:43 PM »
I'm actually in south Reno up out of the valley a bit.  I've picked up traffic around Stead (4SD) loud and clear but haven't been listening yet while the tower has been manned.  I'll do my best but no promises.  I'm a bit pessimistic that I'll get the whole enchilada when it comes time to hear the show but there's only one way to find out..

Offline rbrong

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 01:47:18 PM »
As of today, August 30, I've added the CTAF (122.7) for Stead (4SD) along with other frequencies I've been able to look up for the Reno Air Races.  If anyone has a good list of known frequencies for the Reno Air Races please let me know and I'll make sure those are scanned.

Between now and the races if any listeners for Reno happen to hear transmissions for Stead please let me know.  I'll try to monitor when I can to see what we might be able to pick up.  As the races draw near I may temporarily switch my coverage from the normal Reno frequencies to the Air Race frequencies.  After the races I'll restore my list to those posted for Reno.

Thanks!

- RB

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 02:24:44 PM »
Don't have any frequency data but I think it would be great to have coverage, even if it's only airborne traffic.

I put a countdown timer on the front page for this, as well as a link to your feed.

Dave

Offline rbrong

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 08:42:38 PM »
Cool beans!  I'll keep monitoring and begin limiting some of the frequencies from the Reno feed so it doesn't always hog the scanner.  I'm hopeful!  I know I can get Stead traffic pretty well along with other traffic for Reno pretty far to the north in all sectors so I'm thinking things may work out.

Rich

Offline rbrong

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 11:40:13 AM »
I've been hearing traffic in the pattern at Stead.  The pattern altitude is 800 feet AGL so this might be a good sign of coverage for the air races.  Keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned!

- RB

Offline tyketto

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 01:49:48 PM »
I've been hearing traffic in the pattern at Stead.  The pattern altitude is 800 feet AGL so this might be a good sign of coverage for the air races.  Keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned!

- RB

You may want to give a call to RNO's ATIS. Their number is in the AF/D. They generally throw a NOTAM there (or may even be on the DINS site) on the frequency for the temporary tower they throw up at 4SD. I didn't hear it yesterday when I called, but it should be up soon.

BL.

Offline nevadasky

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 01:16:46 PM »
I will be out on the ramp this afternoon 9.6. I will post the freqs. when I get back.

Offline nevadasky

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 11:39:58 PM »
With my hand-held in Spanish Springs, I caught airborne traffic on 120.800 Some aircraft called it as Stead Tower others Race Control. 

I did not make it to the ramp today I had family stuff come up. I am actually glad I did not make it. I hate being out there when things go wrong. I have been going to the races since 1976. I have seen many of tragedies that have occurred over the years. I glad I missed this one.

God bless Erica Simpson her family and friends.

Offline nevadasky

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 09:36:14 AM »
Sorry I listed the wrong freq the other day. Sould be 120.400 also 127.300. I was on the ramp all day yesterday. I love the sound of those Merlin's. Can't wait for the races to start!

Offline rbrong

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 12:27:54 AM »
Sounds like we're getting some action!  I picked a random archive from this morning and heard quite a bit of stuff from Stead.  Tomorrow morning (Tuesday) I'll remove KRNO frequencies for the day so we can hear what's happening in Stead.

- RB

Offline Jacko

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 04:35:40 AM »
This morning (september 9th) at around 00:10 UTC I heard some people talking about the air races with really happy voices, I have tried finding the clip but haven't been able to find it yet. I am really excited and cannot wait for the races to begin! Thanks for providing the feed :)

Offline rbrong

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 06:44:23 PM »
Awesome!  This is really cool.  I'll be leaving tomorrow for a trip but will be back Sunday.  The feed system has been very reliable for sometime now so I'm not anticipating anything going wrong.  It's all battery backed up and set to reboot automatically each night.

Anyone in Reno that comes to the races come find me on Sunday!  I'll be the one screaming like a little girl with the F-22 comes around.   :-D

All the best.  Here's to the gift of flight!

- Rich