airtraffic

Author Topic: PVD Feed  (Read 74152 times)

Mike Catalfamo

PVD Feed
« on: August 30, 2005, 08:28:35 PM »
Hi PVD listeners,

Just an update...

It seems like my scanner resets itself every so often, I'm working on it to see what could be causing this. It clears out all of the frequencies that are stored in the memory for some reason.

Also, I've added frequency 128.7, which is another app/dep freq they use. Quality is not the greatest, but this is the best I can get it for now.

Thanks for everyone's patience; hopefully I'll get this figured out soon.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
PVD Feed
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 08:39:07 PM »
Wow!  That's the first time I've heard that happen....how often does this occur Mike?  How long have you had the Pro-94/95 (if my mind serves me correctly tonight)  Let me know if you'd like help off-line.

Offline PHL Approach

PVD Feed
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 09:04:05 PM »
I have been meaning to post.

Mike, when I was in florida, about a week before I was to fly back north. I lost about 8 banks of freqs that I was to use on my flight. I got some error cant remember what it said, turned it off, then turned it back on and everything was gone. I haven't had it happen again, yet *Knock on wood*

Mike Catalfamo

PVD Feed
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 02:15:42 PM »
Just an update... there seems to be a problem with the power outlet that the scanner is currently hooked up to. The feed will be down until I can either find a temporary outlet or get this one fixed.

Thanks.

Mike Catalfamo

PVD Feed
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 06:42:40 AM »
The problem has been traced to a faulty power adapter. I just need to get out to Radio Shack and buy a new one. Hopefully I should have this done very soon. Once again, I apologize for having it down so long.  :wink:

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
PVD Feed
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 11:29:39 PM »
Thanks for the update, Mike.  I believe the faulty power adapter could have been the result in the odd, ab-normal ops. you observed, correct?  :lol:

Offline MIAMIATC

PVD Feed
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 08:45:22 AM »
hi mike from another mike !!!!! May you also add 119.45(NW ARR FEED FREQ) AND 125.75(SOUTH ARR FEED) to the fray

Offline PHL Approach

PVD Feed
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 09:14:40 AM »
Mike, have you ever tried PVD34 on 24.85 since they run PVD App/Dep after hours. Looks like the transmitters arn't too far from you. If that works, try the other Woodstock transmitters since it looks like your about 20 miles to the east of them.

EJ

Offline MIAMIATC

PVD Feed
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 09:59:46 AM »
woodstock would bear 135.325 and 133.425 feeding into 119.45 (TEDDY 2 ARRIVAL from ALB VORTAC)

Offline PHL Approach

PVD Feed
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 03:11:09 PM »
Yea, the BOSOX47 would be sweet. Along with ATHENS38. Mike, let me know what you come up with  :D

Mike Catalfamo

PVD Feed
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 03:29:24 PM »
Hi guys,

The last time I tried 119.45 and 125.75, I don't think I even got ATC. Once I get it back up, I will try it again and let you know of the results.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
PVD Feed
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 04:29:34 PM »
Quote from: PHL_Approach
Yea, the BOSOX47 would be sweet. Along with ATHENS38. Mike, let me know what you come up with  :D

He's too far from those and even if he could pick them up it would really dilute the feed.  BOSOX sector is real busy.

Dave

Offline PHL Approach

PVD Feed
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 04:35:36 PM »
20 miles is to far?? I'm 30+ from my transmitters....

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
PVD Feed
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 04:37:16 PM »
Quote from: PHL_Approach
20 miles is to far?? I'm 30+ from my transmitters....

It's not just distance-based...terrain has a lot to do with it.  And you have a better antenna, outside your house.  I think Mike's is still indoors.

Offline PHL Approach

PVD Feed
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 04:47:15 PM »
Yea, I was gonna mention something about the terrain issue. I always thought it's pretty much flat up in RI, but hell what do I know about the terrain up there. Also, until I get WinST reinstalled, after I finally freakin delete that partition that will not delete! I have been using the scanner with my whip antenna in my room at night and I still pick up the transmitters, pretty good too.

Mike Catalfamo

PVD Feed
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 04:48:21 PM »
Yeah, like Dave said, I'm still on an indoor "roll up J-pole" antenna. I hope to have a nicer, outdoor one built sometime in the future.

Offline jeffh

PVD Feed
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2005, 08:45:22 PM »
It's great to hear that the feed will be up again soon, I was very excited to see that a PVD feed was set up in the first place.  I vacation on Block Island which is served by PVD approach and really enjoy listening to the ATC for those all too brief 2 weeks every year.  Since the signal on 125.75 is really strong on the island, I would have to assume that the transmitter is based there, so it's probably too far for you if you're picking up 35.4 and 28.7.  I'm more then happy with the frequencies you have now, and I can assure you that I'll definately be a loyal listener.  On another note, I have a portable Pro 95 scanner and may have a similiar problem to the one you're experiencing.  When using my AC adapter if I move either the scanner or the AC wire, even slightly, I lose power as if there is a bad connection somewhere along the way (probably is) and this is accompianied by a popping sound through the speaker.  Then when the power does come back, the screen is blank and I have to turn the power off and on again to fix the problem, all the while trying not to disturb the wire again.  If this happens a few times in rapid succession the memory gets erased.  If I remembery correctly the screen reads "initializing" when this occurs.  I've really been too lazy to do anything about it and avoid it most of the time by keeping the scanner in one place when using AC power.  I'm not sure if any of this applies to you, and i'm certainly not an expert in these matters, but perhaps something was hitting your cord and causing this type of thing to happen?  Either way, I really just wanted to thank you for setting up the feed and let you know that your work is appreciated.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
PVD Feed
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2005, 07:25:48 AM »
:shock:  :shock:  Woops!  I guess you won't use another adapter w/o checking the voltage first!  :lol:  Sorry to hear that Mike, good luck in obtaining a new scanner.  Let me know if any assistance is needed.

I have 3 Uniden power adapers, I have labels on each to keep them straight; they all have different voltage levels.

The BC780XLT adapter is 13.8 volts, definitely won't use that one in anything else!  8)

Mike Catalfamo

PVD Feed
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2005, 04:23:58 PM »
PVD should be back up in about two days... new scanner is coming in on Tuesday. Can't wait to have it back.  :D

Offline jeffh

PVD Feed
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2005, 10:24:34 PM »
Great News!  Thanks for the update!