airtraffic

Author Topic: PHNL/PHJR Audio & Status  (Read 33319 times)

Offline LORm

• blue ball machines are fun.
PHNL/PHJR Audio & Status
« on: February 20, 2006, 04:05:25 AM »
I recently changed audio codecs on the feed SimpleCast streaming software from an older ACM mp3 encoder, to a newer PCM mp3 encoder. This improved the audio quality ever since I switched to the SimpleCast software that runs the feed.

Some frequency updates.....

PHJR Tower 132.6 has been on lockout due to interference I've been getting. They recently had some work done on their transmitter and my interference began showing up afterward. Their UHF mil airband frequency 340.2 still recieves fine however, but will still be on lockout. PHNL Tower mil airband 257.8 recently was taken off lockout as they too had transmitter interference problems that were having tower use an alternate frequency. The frequency that a few Alpine Aviation pilots were using as their air to air among themselves has been sadly silent recently :?. Gonna miss those guys, as I believe they've moved onto other jobs.

Offline Kalpazan

PHNL/PHJR Audio & Status
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 05:06:23 AM »
Tell me about the PCM MP3 encoder... where did u get it from ?  :roll:

Offline LORm

PHNL/PHJR Audio & Status
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 02:54:40 AM »
Been having more trouble with the cable connection feeding PHNL/PHJR.  Connection drops after the first packets are sent/recieved after the cable modem is reset. Connection started dropping soon after I first started this topic, go figure :!: RR is looking into it...

AKbushpilot

PHNL/PHJR Audio & Status
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 05:11:39 PM »
Will the HNL feed ever work again?  We really miss it.

Offline flotoby

We also are missing Hnl Connection!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 02:54:24 AM »
Aloha LORm, we check daily to see if you got your connection problems solved, and mostly see pink!!  Were hoping you get up and running once again soon!!  Mahalo, Toby & Flo Hilo Hi.

Offline LORm

PHNL/PHJR Audio & Status
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 02:41:21 PM »
Hey AKBushpilot, haven't seen you in awhile. Last had an e-mail from you in December! I'll send you a PM.

RR is scheduled to come and check out the cable so it will definitely be back before the end of the month, sorry about this. Last time the cable company was over they dug up the coax in the front yard so who knows whats up. It seems as if the connection is dropping packets.  On dialup right now and that wont cut it for the feed. Mahalo!

AKbushpilot

PHNL/PHJR Audio & Status
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 10:06:12 AM »
Can't wait for the link to be working again!  
I have sent numerous messages to you since December but have not received email or PM from you

Does anyone know what is going on at Alpine and why they have cut back their flights so extensively?

Thanks.
Jack

PS:  Additional Center frequencies are:  126.5 and 119.3 ...if you want to add them to the scan.

AKbushpilot

PHNL/PHJR Audio & Status
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 06:57:49 PM »
Aloha LORm,
Any update on the PHNL feed status?
Hope you get it running again.  We certainly miss it.
Jack

Offline hawk4174

PHNL/PHJR Audio & Status
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 08:33:02 AM »
I certainly back AKbushpilot in missing the HNL feed!  :cry:   :(

Is there any update Lorm? :D

Offline LORm

PHNL/PHJR Audio & Status
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 09:20:43 PM »
HNL back up. Audio quality is not as good as it was before, but the previous audio quality will be back soon. This will be a temporary fix so please excuse the audio quality for the time being!

AKBushPilot I have your e-mail on gmail. Once I get everything back up I will re-initiate correspondance.

-LORM

Offline scott967

PHNL/PHJR Audio & Status
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 12:23:25 AM »
Nice to see you back up, though i see not at the moment :(

scott s.

Offline flotoby

Thank You LORm
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 02:50:42 AM »
Flo and I have really been hurting for your connection to Hnl!  hope you have things straightened out! we don't mind the sound issue!! Wish you could see us smiling at you over here in hilo!! "MAHALO" Aloha T&F :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline flotoby

Re: PHNL/PHJR Audio & Status
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 02:48:39 AM »
Aloha LorM I have been religously checking and hoping , you would get our favorite airport up and running again Sounds very nice out here in Hilo, and a big Mahalo for getting your station back on the air again!! Hope your troubles are over!!??  We do appreciate your efforts!!! Aloha Toby  :-o :-o :-o& Flo Hilo Hi.

Offline LORm

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 04:20:53 AM »
When I started  this update thread I think it just brought a whole lot of bad luck.  Oceanic/Timewarner Roadrunner has always been so-so here,  but I actually started this thread with intent of reporting "improvements" that were done on the feed, but that night the connection died hard.

Later that night after starting this thread and reporting I had just improved the audio quality, the service totally died. I was actually listening to the feed at our resturaunt before it died and returned to the feed computer with the connection dead :x.

Recently the feed was down for 2 weeks, as I was in Cape Cod (BRRRR... the Falmouth beaches were COLD RAINY and WINDY, no fish either!) and western MA.
Right now we're waiting for Uniden to return the BC785D and bring back the frequency text tags and military airband. I picked up a Radioshack PRO-97, but the mil airband reception audio isn't as strong as civil, though overall it's a good handheld. I'll hook it up w/ mil airband until the Uniden returns.

Offline LORm

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2006, 07:12:09 AM »
Feed will be up and down intermittently for the next few weeks due to heavy feed PC usage.

Offline LORm

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 11:51:02 AM »
My broadband connection is still down after the earthquake. Haven't experienced any damage to our property and I hope all the listeners on the neighbor islands came out A-OK.

The 18 minute archive til powerloss and while the quake occured (1707Z) is at http://archive-server.liveatc.net/phnl/PHNL-Oct-15-2006-1700Z.mp3

Everything but the 8L ILS and a few taxiways lights went down after the power went out. The ATIS is reporting that Just the MALSR to 8L is still out of service as of now.

Aloha

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 11:56:08 AM »
Glad you are OK and the property is OK.  Hope the recovery goes well - looks like it could have been a lot worse, but it's never easy after an earthquake.

Dave

Offline tyketto

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 12:43:13 PM »
Too True.

My next door neighbours (sans kids) are flying down there.. well, the father is already there (he's in the Hawaiian Nat'l Guard), and the mother flew out today to be with him on vacation. They've had this planned for months. Her flight was delayed, cancelled, put back on schedule, delayed and put back on time again. I'm interested in tracking this flight, so thanks for having this feed up. I'm pretty sure it will come in handy. Oh.. glad you're okay too! :P

BL.

Offline LORm

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2006, 01:04:56 PM »
Thanks guys!

I probably should have phrased this better in my previous post,  ATC did not lose any communications and radar at PHNL when the rest of the airport lost power. AFIAK and from listening to the few ZHN frequencies that I did, ZHN did not lose any comms or radar. PHNL continued through the the day accepting all arrivals and departures. All the jetways were without power and loading and unloading PAX was not an easy task, HNL does not have a lot of airstairs. Various carriers had to hardstand and various international pax had to remain onboard for hours before being allowed to deplane.

I really am glad I wasn't scheduled for a flight yesterday. Looking at today's newspaper the pictures from the terminals were totally packed with people - standing room only. All the TSA and their CTX scanners are all hooked up to the regular power grid and that made screening incredibly time consuming. Plus if you had to go, having electronic automatic flushing toilets is bad when the power goes out - yikes! There's a lot of them too at HNL. Listening to airline ops frequencies was great listening thats for sure and made good for passing the time without power. Feed will be back when the broadband/CATV goes back on. It was pretty amusing listening to people calling the main emergency radio station asking for Sunday NFL Football scores!

Offline Olivia

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2006, 01:49:25 PM »
Hi LORm
 Good to hear you're doing alright.  I used to live at One Waterfront in downtown and loved watching HNL so your feed is great to listen to.  Sure wish I'd known about LiveATC.net when I lived in HI.

Take care.

Offline flotoby

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 12:49:52 AM »
Aloha LORm, Very glad you escaped our latest incident!! The Big Island got slammed pretty hard!We came through it o.k. in Hilo but folks on the west side were not as lucky! That was the hardest Earthquake we have ever been in!! All the telephone poles were dancing, the car in the carport was lurching back and forth and also dancing side to side!!  The concrete driveway was waving like my flag!! We listen to your feed very often!! and Thanks for keeping your eye on it with all the problems you have had!! Aloha From Hilo Toby and Flo :-D :-D :-D

Offline LORm

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2006, 09:47:25 PM »
Olivia, One Waterfront = You had best seat in the house for viewing HNL I bet!
Flotoby, glad u guys are okay!

Offline LORm

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 01:41:07 PM »
Feed will be down at least for a day. Doing OS re-install on feed PC.

Offline LORm

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2006, 12:50:37 AM »
N.F.C. about what is causing the interference showing up on all frequencies on the feed. It usually is limited to 118.3, now it's a bit worse on 118.3. The is feed using same equipment and the same plug-in configuration. The scanner has already using a ground isolation device + wire across scanner to PC for over a year now which works good for ground loop and using --> this by DCI Specialty, I'll try putting on some RF choke.

Offline NWA ARJ

• Private Pilot, Control Tower Operator
    • UND Air Traffic Control
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2007, 11:22:48 PM »
Whats the deal with HNL being down?