airtraffic

Author Topic: New STL Feed  (Read 14015 times)

Offline jermscentral

New STL Feed
« on: November 05, 2013, 07:55:54 AM »
I know it showed up on the homepage, but I hadn't announced it yet. I have launched a new feed for KSTL that includes all frequencies - Clearance, Metering, Ground Control, and Local (Tower) Control - in both VHF and UHF. The feed is hosted on a hill about 4 miles southwest of the airport, so I have pretty good reception on everything. There are some carriers (namely Cape Air) that operate out of an "alley" of the concourse that occasionally can't be heard at first, but once they start taxiing, you should be able to hear them.

If you listen and hear something clear followed by a response that is more static-y (or vice versa), it may be the scanner picking up the VHF feed followed by the response on the corresponding UHF frequency. I added the UHF frequencies to pick up military aircraft, including Boeing's fighter jets.

Offline cipher66

Re: New STL Feed
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 12:38:09 PM »
Great feed!  Now if we could only get the arrival/departure freqs on a seperate feed!  Also, did you know that ZKC has 2 transmitters in the STL area:  133.150/355.600, 128.350/284.675 are from near the STL VORTAC and 125.900/323.100 out of St. Charles.  Out of all of those ARTCC freqs, 133.15/355.6 is the most interesting with initial sequencing/descent for Chicago inbounds along with cross sector (east/west) traffic.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 06:39:39 AM »
Great feed!  Now if we could only get the arrival/departure freqs on a seperate feed!  Also, did you know that ZKC has 2 transmitters in the STL area:  133.150/355.600, 128.350/284.675 are from near the STL VORTAC and 125.900/323.100 out of St. Charles.  Out of all of those ARTCC freqs, 133.15/355.6 is the most interesting with initial sequencing/descent for Chicago inbounds along with cross sector (east/west) traffic.

That's near the top of the list for our ARTCC targets.  Thanks, Paul!

Offline jermscentral

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 10:00:33 PM »
I live about 10 miles from the STL VOR, but I'm not sure where the transmitter is located; so pending I got another scanner, I could see what kind of reception I get from the same antenna I already use for the STL feed.

Also, for those curious, this STL feed is run on a Raspberry Pi. Easy setup, power-sipping, and takes up little space on my "nerd board". I love it! In the picture below, the scanner is out of sight sitting on a stool... I haven't wall-mounted it yet because I need a "sub-panel".

Offline cipher66

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 10:16:16 AM »
If you go to Radioreference.com and go to the Kansas City Center (ARTCC) page, each RCAG site is identified with Lat/Lon and on the google map.  Just click on the name of the RCAG and select details.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=locPop&scid=58056

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 05:51:27 PM »
Great setup!

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 05:52:17 PM »
If you go to Radioreference.com and go to the Kansas City Center (ARTCC) page, each RCAG site is identified with Lat/Lon and on the google map.  Just click on the name of the RCAG and select details.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=locPop&scid=58056

Great resource for frequency information…and thanks to Paul great and pretty up to date information on U.S. ARTCC's.