Author Topic: KSYR (Syracuse) to be down for an hour on 12/9  (Read 7043 times)

Offline KSYR-pjr

KSYR (Syracuse) to be down for an hour on 12/9
« on: December 08, 2005, 11:00:31 PM »
On Friday, 12/9, at around 12:00pm Eastern Standard time (17:00z), the SYR feed will be temporarily unavailable as I switch ISPs from Time Warner Road Runner to Verizon's new FiOS service, which is a complete fiber optic system.  

I have signed up for FiOS' top tier service, a 30 Mbps download/5 Mbps upload package that will blow the doors off RR's ever variable 1.0 to 4.0 Mbps download speed (always dependent on how many MP3s the teens next door are downloading).  

Hopefully this service will be even more reliable than RR, as it is new to our area and I am probably one of the first Guinea pigs to try it.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 07:00:04 AM »
Lucky you!  It's a great service, from what I've observed so far.  I know a couple of people who have it.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 08:16:37 PM »
Quote from: dave
Lucky you!  It's a great service, from what I've observed so far.  I know a couple of people who have it.

Thanks, Dave.  Given the longer than anticipated outage today, I cannot say that the installation was totally painless.

In my case and after the installation, I am not yet seeing the 30Mbps from any of a number of speed test websites.   I am only getting 20mbps and 2.5mbps upload.  Granted that it is fast, but not what I am paying for.   Also, my caller ID and call waiting are now intermittently not working.   My phone service has been rerouted through this optical box now, too, as it is now also coming over fiber optic.   hmmm.....

The installer was here for 8 hours and could not solve the problem.  He is coming back tomorrow with a replacement optical box in the chance that the unit installed today has some problem.  So, SYR will again be up and down on Saturday, 12/9,  while this box is being swapped.