Author Topic: KSYR (Syracuse) down - reinstall of OS necessary  (Read 12303 times)

Offline KSYR-pjr

KSYR (Syracuse) down - reinstall of OS necessary
« on: December 12, 2007, 11:50:04 AM »
Spybot Search and Destroy sucks.   

Upon uninstalling their "Defender" real-time component (not even sure why I had it enabled, as the laptop does absolutely nothing else besides provide the feed), the laptop locked up.  Attempting to restart it resulted in black screen of death.  Looks like a reinstall of the OS is necessary.

Of course, it had to happen on the last day of my 5-day at-home schedule.  I am scrambling now to get it back up now.

Will post here when complete.

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: KSYR (Syracuse) down - reinstall of OS necessary
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 04:56:03 PM »
OK, KSYR laptop has been reinstalled and is back up and running.   

Over the next few hours I will be tweaking the volume to remove the audio clipping.

Offline J. White

• http://www.asuhelicopter.com
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 05:36:10 PM »
Thanks Pete. I listen to your feed quite often.

John

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 05:51:29 PM »
Appreciate the reply, John.  There are only between 5 and 12 regulars on any given day but I do strive for a 99% uptime.   This outage was just a freak case where uninstalling a useless piece of trash software hosed up the entire Windows environment.  With this fresh OS install I don't expect too much to change going forward save an occasional Windows XP security update.

Offline Vince717

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 10:41:53 PM »
Hi Peter,

I live just East of Utica and listen to your feed often. Thank You for providing KSYR! The only thing I noticed since you did the reinstall is that the Audio level from your feed seems a little lower in volume than previously. I fly about 6 times a year. Usually I fly out of KSYR or KALB as I am located just about half way between them. Sometimes while waiting for my flight I like to do some spotting and monitoring. KALB has a large indoor viewing room on the top floor where they also pipe in the ATC audio. Plus they have a nice outdoor parking area specifically for spotting. KSYR seems to only have a very small indoor area on the main floor of the terminal. This only allows you to watch planes taxiing to/from the gate area. Is there any other areas around KSYR for spotting that I am unaware of? I asked KSYR security about this once and they said after 9-11 they shut down the larger areas!

Thanks,

Vince

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 11:47:17 PM »
I live just East of Utica and listen to your feed often. Thank You for providing KSYR! The only thing I noticed since you did the reinstall is that the Audio level from your feed seems a little lower in volume than previously.

Thanks, Vince, for the feedback.  There was a lot of clipping going on after I reinstalled (audio level too high, causing distortion) so I backed it off quite a bit.  I admit that I was in a rush since I had to leave for a four-day business trip that night, figuring that a lower volume would solve the clipping, but I didn't spend a lot of time optimizing it.  Let me take a look tomorrow at raising the volume some without causing the clipping I experienced when the feed first came back up.

Is there any other areas around KSYR for spotting that I am unaware of? I asked KSYR security about this once and they said after 9-11 they shut down the larger areas!

There is an outdoor parking area that overlooks the middle of 10/28 at Syracuse that is excellent for spotting.  In the warmer months there are picnic tables in this area, but a lot of people simply park and sit in their cars to watch the action.

Here is the larger satellite view, with the annotation indicating the approximate area:

and here is a blow-up of the annotated area above, with the parking area clearly visible.  Note that there is a knoll (yes, it's a grassy knoll) just behind the parking area where you can sit during warmer weather:

Offline Vince717

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 01:11:19 AM »
Peter,

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like that viewing area is right across from where you enter the parking garage! I will have to check it out the next time I am up there. When I am traveling east from Exit 34A or 35 on the Thurway and if I look up to the left I can see the planes queued up for landing on runway 28. Quite a site at times when it's busy!

Regards,

Vince

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 03:55:45 PM »
Okay, Vince, I have increased the volume for SYR.  One of the controllers who is on now (3:40p Eastern time Sunday) always seems to be over-modulated (even when I am flying I notice it) so use airborne aircraft as a guide to let me know if that is better.

Offline Vince717

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 08:38:04 PM »
Peter,

Sounds good here! I did a comparison of the current audio and a archived file I had from a week or so ago and they sounded very close. I also went and ran the archive from 3:40 PM today through Audacity. I did notice that one controller was louder than the others. Must be he just modulates the microphone better than the others. Or maybe he uses his own personal audio enhanced Mic. A friend of mine who I have not seen in several month's has a son who work's for the FAA at SYR. I forgot if he was a controller or in maintenance. He would probably enjoy listening to SYR and possibly hearing his son. I shall let him know of your feed.

Thanks,

Vince

Offline Vince717

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 11:33:19 PM »
Peter,

I was at SYR Airport today. While there I walked over to the bridge walkway between the parking garage and the terminal to check out the spotting area you mentioned. That looks like a neat place to spot  from. It seemed to be pretty filled up. Also while there one of the Syracuse TV stations was doing a remote broadcast from that spotting area.

Vince

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 03:16:10 PM »
Hey, Vince - Sorry for the delay in replying. 

Once the weather gets a little warmer you will see lots of people hanging out there, especially at lunch during the week.   It seems the local media are always filming from the airport, be it because of a new airline starting up or closing down, or because of some aviation incident like a gear-up landing or engine out landing.  A friend of mine who works at a local TV station admitted that their and other newsrooms monitor the airport frequencies via their own aviation scanners "just in case."