airtraffic

Author Topic: KRNO Clearance Delivery  (Read 10435 times)

Offline rbrong

KRNO Clearance Delivery
« on: February 09, 2008, 01:35:52 PM »
I'm thinking of removing Clearance Delivery (124.9) from the feed for Reno (KRNO).  It seems that the long IFR clearances tend to hog scanner time which, in turn, prevents some of the real action from tower and departure / approach from being heard.  Are there any major complaints out there if I do that?

- RB

Offline JetScan1

Re: KRNO Clearance Delivery
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 02:47:07 PM »
This is a good idea !

DJ

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 03:29:25 PM »
What would it take for you to separate out the CD to its own, separate feed?   

While I agree with you that CD mixed in with airborne freqs doesn't make a very tasty feed cocktail, there is value in having a CD feed.  There are always a few pilots, most times IFR students, coming to this group looking for CD feeds to practice their clearance copying skills.  And that's just the vocal ones. I bet there are many non-registered visitors seeking this as well.

I am not exactly sure what it takes to host a second feed (second scanner, second sound card, yes, but not sure about the antenna options - can one line be split amongst two feeds?) but since there are not that many CD freqs here, I would be willing to donate something to the cause as a service to those up-and-coming IFR students.

Think about this idea.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 05:22:07 PM »
How about record the CD position for a few hours then put it on a continuous loop in the archive section, it's just the same thing over and over again. This could apply to many radios. If you want to see the actual flight planned route you can download it off flightaware. CD wastes a lot of airtime on busy feeds. IMO.

DJ 

Offline rbrong

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:48:43 PM »
True that Clearance Delivery tends to bog down the real action although it does have a lot of value for students working on IFR (like myself!).  I have a second scanner and could use an antenna splitter. 

Next question, though, can you run two OddATC feeds from the same computer?

I also like the idea of letting CD run for a while and then post the times so people can access the archive.  What does anyone think of that?

Thanks for the input.

-RB

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 10:59:22 PM »
True that Clearance Delivery tends to bog down the real action although it does have a lot of value for students working on IFR (like myself!).  I have a second scanner and could use an antenna splitter. 

Next question, though, can you run two OddATC feeds from the same computer?

I also like the idea of letting CD run for a while and then post the times so people can access the archive.  What does anyone think of that?

Thanks for the input.

-RB

You can use a splitter to split the antenna, but my experience with this type of setup has been that you lose a lot of the signal.  You can run as many feeds as you'd like from OddATC, your computer just has to have an additional soundcard to support the extra input(s).

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 09:14:53 AM »

That would be a great idea but rather than leave the CD in the archives I think it would be a better idea for the forum moderators to create a sticky in the Audio Clips forum with an edited for time CD clip.   Perhaps this sticky could have additional CD clips added to it over time.  This way those looking for CD clips to use as practice will have an easy time locating the clips.  The archives roll off after 30 days so any CD clip there would be lost.

If you have examples of clearance in an existing archive clip I would be willing to edit the file using Audacity to produce a clip.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 11:32:20 AM »
I think it would be a better idea for the forum moderators to create a sticky in the Audio Clips forum with an edited for time CD clip.

This is a good idea, do it from a few airports for variety. Then hopefully more feeders will remove the CD frequency from their feeds to help clear up some of the congestion.

It would be interesting to do the same thing for other sectors/frequencies at some of the busier airports where only one radio is available for scanning. Have a collection of permanent archived clips in a separate section on the website for some selected individual sectors, say for ground control or a departure, arrival, and enroute sector during certain busy times like a push. Currently with a lot of feeds set up to scan multiple frequencies at busy airports it's difficult to follow what is really going on. With an archived clip dedicated to ONE frequency or sector you could learn how that sectors works much easier. To make it even better combine it with a Passur or Flight Explorer radar clip so you can watch the traffic at the same time. For example that clip from Newark Approach that was posted here somewhere. There would also be the historical value of being able to hear certain airlines after they have all merged or gone bankrupt. I don't know how practical this is (storage space ?), or if there is an interest (?), but I could make a donation or help work on putting something together ?

DJ
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 11:34:39 AM by JetScan1 »