airtraffic

Author Topic: KLAX will be down indefinetly. Future status unknown  (Read 57357 times)

Offline ManagerJosh

Re: KLAX will be down indefinetly. Future status unknown
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 04:48:04 AM »
Just curious, how close do you need to be to pick up KLAX Tower?

Offline Unbeliever

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 11:53:22 PM »
Looks like someone else picked it up, but I won't be able to do LAX in good conscience.  Over the week I had good days and bad days on both transmitters.  It wasn't very consistent.  I guess 21 miles is too far, even with the altitude.   It looks like my reception is affected by who parks next to the transmitter.

I'll listen to the approach sectors for a while.  Or punt and try the basin Helicopter CTAF.

--Carlos V.

Offline bleyton

• Tarpy Tailors - the finest airline uniforms, since 1934
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 12:15:18 AM »
Just curious, how close do you need to be to pick up KLAX Tower?

Apparently it's not a question of how close, since our store is practically underneath the approach to 24R, and reception is marginal.  I think it's a combination of our location on the first floor of a 2 story building, and the metallic film on all of the windows.  An outdoor antenna would probably work spectacularly well, but it's just not possible from our location.

Just for the record, Dave is working behind the scenes to come up with something better and more permanent for KLAX, and I have promised to help however I can. 

Brian
Your KBUR feeder

Offline bluecrewfan08

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 10:16:54 PM »
Brian,
  Do you know what Dave has in store? Another feeder off site?  Or something on the LAX property? Perhaps I can donate my antenna.  Or maybe just hold on to it till April, and try the feed again when I am home?

Hope things work out well.

Rob

Offline bleyton

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2010, 09:11:44 PM »
Brian,
  Do you know what Dave has in store? Another feeder off site?  Or something on the LAX property? Perhaps I can donate my antenna.  Or maybe just hold on to it till April, and try the feed again when I am home?

Hope things work out well.

Rob

Another feeder somewhere in the area.  He said he's been playing phone tag.  Next time I'm at the store I will record an MP3 sample of what I get, and Dave will listen to it and see if it's worth doing anything from our store.  I offered my PC as a donation - it's a dog, but still good enough for running a feed (it's pretty much identical to what I'm using at KBUR), and it's already configured and ready to go.

Brian

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 10:06:23 AM »
There is someone right on the field that I am trying to work with - still playing email and phone tag.  May take another week to arrange a meeting.

We also have an interesting feed coming up near LAX - a helo feed.  One of the active helicopter pilots in the area is going to run it.  The location where it runs might be able to host some SOCAL feeds and/or a backup LAX Tower feed as well.

More news as it's made.

Offline ManagerJosh

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2010, 06:11:17 AM »
Any luck Dave? :D

Offline bleyton

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 01:57:31 AM »
I sent a sample to Dave of what I can receive at our location, and he thinks it sounds good, so we are going to go forward with setting it up.  A volunteer is sending me a USB wifi dongle, so once I can get it set up in Linux, we should be ready to go. 

Don't expect the feed to be live and published for a little while - first I have to get out to our store and get it configured, which could take some time, and then I'm sure Dave will want to run in test mode for a while to make sure it's stable and sounds good.

Here's a link to our location in case anyone is interested:

http://maps.google.com/places/us/ca/los-angeles/s-sepulveda-blvd/9100/-tarpy-tailors?gl=us

As you can see, we're quite close to the airport.  I am hopeful that the feed will work well.

Brian
Your KBUR feeder (and hopefully KLAX soon)

Online Chananya Freedman

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2010, 02:30:13 PM »
Thanks for setting this up. I look forward to LAX again.  :mrgreen:

Offline cateyes_777

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2010, 03:24:39 PM »
WOW!!! All sounds too complicated for me.... but am very grateful for all working on this, can't wait!  :-)

Offline ARMEDnPISSED

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2010, 07:00:42 PM »
Good to hear it'll be going up soon. Hope the quality isn't THAT bad and the volume not super low.

What happened to the guy Dave was talking with?

Offline speedotann

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 11:51:38 PM »
I can't wait for it to be back up! It is very fun to watch the planes that are being talked to! Thanks for doing this for us!

B

Offline rootbear75

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2010, 01:30:23 AM »
My uncle has a store in santa monica close to the santa monica airport, and depending on how an external antenna is mounted, he offered the possibility of mounting it to the antenna and hosting a feed.  I do not know how good reception is, however, as a former airline employee who is going for an ATC-CTI degree, these feeds are really interesting.  I'd be extremely happy to help out if you guys could tell me exactly what is needed.

His store isnt as close as bleyton's store, but if we can get an external antenna up in the air, i could probably get it set up.

Location of store:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 01:31:58 AM by rootbear75 »

Offline simonlam33

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2010, 11:47:12 AM »
I can't wait for it, thanks to all who volunteered to set it up!   :-)

Offline bleyton

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2010, 02:30:48 AM »
Latest update:  I have the computer and wifi card at my office.  I've been trying to get the wifi working, but no luck so far.  I have a couple of ideas I will try, and if I can't get it to work, I will get another wifi card that is known to work with Linux and we will get this thing working.  I don't want to waste a lot of time playing around - I know there are a lot of KLAX listeners suffering from withdrawal.

As I have told Dave, I just want to get a good feed going.  If I can do it from our store, great, but if someone else has a better location, I'm happy to help them get it going too.  I can give up the computer, and Dave has let me borrow a scanner, so we have everything we need except for a good location and someone to babysit the equipment.  I'm just hung up because it's too hard to run a wire from the router to the computer.

rootbear75:  I have a feeling you won't get great reception from that location - at least not from the ground-based transmissions.  There are some hills in the way.  Can you try with a handheld to see what you get?

Brian

Offline rootbear75

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2010, 03:23:08 AM »
how much is a handheld? kinda strapped for cash so if i could possibly borrow someone's one day i'd go and look.

Grandmother also has some apartment buildings near the 10/405 interchange. I MIGHT be able to see if we can hang an antenna on the side of the building. Roof mounting is not going to happen i've already been told.

Offline bleyton

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2010, 05:21:44 PM »
I think I have all of the parts assembled to get the feed going from my store.  I got a wireless bridge that seems to work well, so next time I am at the store I will hook it all up and we will get a test feed going.

Then we will see how good/bad it sounds and we can take it from there.  But at least we will have something to listen to at KLAX.

Brian

Offline ARMEDnPISSED

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2010, 07:57:12 PM »
Haha... LAX Tower withdrawal symptoms. Well at least I'm coping a bit better now, having not heard LAX for a month or so.

Hope to listen to it soon.

Offline rootbear75

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2010, 09:10:29 PM »
I think I have all of the parts assembled to get the feed going from my store.  I got a wireless bridge that seems to work well, so next time I am at the store I will hook it all up and we will get a test feed going.

Then we will see how good/bad it sounds and we can take it from there.  But at least we will have something to listen to at KLAX.

Brian
I hopw its good. LAX is on the list of possible facilities i want to work at so i'd like to give it a listen.  I'll still let you know about the quality from my uncle's store as soon as i scrounge up some money to grab a handheld from radioshack.

Offline bleyton

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2010, 12:18:08 PM »
Well, the long wait is over.  KLAX is back up again from our store, and Dave has wasted no time in listing it, so please tune in and enjoy.

I realize that this feed does not sound as good as the old one, but this is the best I have been able to do, given our location and inability to mount an outdoor antenna.

I think that this occasion deserves a bit of a plug (hopefully Dave won't mind).

Our business is Tarpy Tailors, and we sell uniforms (all kinds, but primarily for pilots, thus the location right next to LAX).  The business was established over 75 years ago by Dee Tarpy, who was a pilot, and felt that he could produce a better uniform than what was out there at the time.  Since then the store has been owned and operated by a couple of generations of family, and 2 years ago my wife and I purchased it from Dee's daughter and son-in-law.

The store is something of a museum, with many vintage photos on the walls, model airplanes, and a large collection of pilots' wings on display.  We invite everyone to stop in and say hello to my wife, who runs the store.  If you need any uniform items, we hope you will think of us. 

Brian
Your KBUR and KLAX feeder
http://www.tarpytailors.com

Offline rootbear75

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2010, 01:09:48 PM »
I might stop in to see how the feed is set up, in case i might get a location to another airport whether LAX or other. Listening now, but i dont hear anything. Might just be no one is talking (In between banks)

Offline speedotann

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2010, 03:34:35 PM »
Thanks for getting  it up again. I was going nuts without LAX!!

Thanks Again

B

Offline bleyton

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2010, 04:50:27 PM »
I might stop in to see how the feed is set up, in case i might get a location to another airport whether LAX or other. Listening now, but i dont hear anything. Might just be no one is talking (In between banks)

There is not much to see - just a scanner with a whip antenna, a cable, and an old beat up Dell running Linux.  They are hiding behind a display case.  There isn't even a monitor or keyboard attached to the PC.

I have done 2 of these setups now, both running Ubuntu Linux on obsolete hardware, so if anyone needs help with that kind of installation, I am more than happy to help.  I already put together a step-by-step guide to installing the software, so just ask, and I'll send it along.

Brian
Your KBUR and KLAX feeder.

Offline ARMEDnPISSED

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2010, 09:51:54 PM »
Its good to hear LAX Tower again. Thanks for hosting it.

Is there any word on that helo feed?

Offline rootbear75

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2010, 03:01:54 AM »
I went down, you have quite and impressive store there lol. liked the case of wings.
The lady there told me about the flight path museum, and that was great.

Suggestion though: Possibly try suctioning an antenna to the storefront windows? might get better reception....