Author Topic: KLAS feeds down due to network outage  (Read 22941 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
KLAS feeds down due to network outage
« on: May 18, 2015, 08:49:59 AM »
Not sure when we will have them back...this is in a remote site and not easy to access all the time.  Might need a modem reset.

Offline Mr Dispatcher

Re: KLAS feeds down due to network outage
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 12:49:27 PM »
Dave we can try this again, I've reconfigured my office with easy access to an outside feed box for the Antenna that can be ground mounted since I am so close to the airport.

Just send me an email if interested in trying again.  :-D

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 12:54:16 PM »
OK....I'll email you offline.

Offline Mr Dispatcher

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 06:22:18 PM »
Cool, I sent you a PM just incase you needed more information and email

Offline 777lrf

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 01:28:23 PM »
Please if you are able, can you bring back all the ZLA frequencies that used to be hosted at KLAS! Thanks

Offline Mr Dispatcher

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 05:09:06 PM »
I'll place this request with Dave.. and see if we can do this.. could you provide the frequencies your talking about..
thanks

Offline tyketto

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 01:00:46 PM »
I'll place this request with Dave.. and see if we can do this.. could you provide the frequencies your talking about..
thanks

The only ZLA frequencies that interact directly with L30 airspace are:

134.65 (sector 6 low, Southwest to SoCal),
124.85 (Sector 8 low, Southeast to ZAB),
124.2 (Sector 7 low, Northeast to ZDV/ZLC,) and
124.62 (Sector 16 low/high, Northwest to NorCal).

Everything else doesn't really hand off directly to L30 or receives handoffs from L30.

BL.

Offline Parrotboy

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 04:47:16 PM »
By far my favorite feed. Hope to have it back soon.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 08:59:29 AM »
We're working on a new, additional feed site that will hopefully be up by the end of the week, with KLAS and ZLA coverage.

Offline Mark Dalforno

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 12:14:53 PM »
Here's hoping!  i miss listening to this feed

Offline Mr Dispatcher

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 04:34:25 PM »
I'm happy to report that I Installed a 20' outside antenna and installed Dave's equipment today..
Feeds include ZLA, APCH/ DEP, TWRS and GRD!

I'm sure well have my feeds up today so we should never be without coverage here in Vegas, short of {{{{{the big one}}}}}.. and even then, I have a 2 hour battery backup to hear any potential evacuations.. LOL 

I live less than 2 miles from KLAS's south side. As a avid life long pilot, dispatcher aviator and now aircraft photographer, I spend tons of time around the airport.

Very Happy to support the Aviation online community... Charlie Hotel

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 05:18:24 PM »
Thanks to Charlie Hotel we now have some new (some redundant) feeds online at LAS.  Tower and Approach are redundant sets and we also now have KLAS Final (which we couldn't cover at the other location due to radio frequency interference) and ZLA Sectors 16/34.  We're only hearing the controllers on one of those ZLA Sectors - Sector 34 132.625.  124.625 probably broadcasts primarily from the Keeler RCAG.

Offline Parrotboy

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 12:46:15 AM »
A big thanks to Charlie Hotel. So glad to have KLAS back.

Offline Mark Dalforno

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 12:07:20 PM »
Awesome!!

Stupid question but is there anyway to get final by itself or with a few approach frequencies?

Final is awesome to listen to but center talks a lot....

Maybe it's because I control approach for a class c in real world i don't want to listen to center (yup I am bias) roflmao

But seriously thanks

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 12:09:03 PM »
No way right now...maybe we'll split it out later. 

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 11:04:58 AM »
No way right now...maybe we'll split it out later.

You've got a dedicated radio on 121.50. Seeing that the "emergency" frequency is rarely, if ever, used for actual emergency's (mostly it's just pilots calling company by mistake and then having the guard police go ballistic, or ATC looking for aircraft that are on the wrong frequency). Any chance you could move the Center frequencies with guard to that radio ?

To me it would make more sense to put the two final approach frequencies together 135.000 and 119.400, this would free up some frequency congestion on the overloaded Approach radio.

I'm not complaining, the setup is great, much appreciated ! Just the frequency combination of Approach and Center seems like an odd choice.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:06:35 AM by JetScan1 »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 11:14:12 AM »
Things aren't always what they seem.  Those individual feeds aren't real radios.  They are enabled by an SDR which only has 2.5 MHz of tunable bandwidth.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 12:23:29 PM »
Those individual feeds aren't real radios.  They are enabled by an SDR which only has 2.5 MHz of tunable bandwidth.

Ah, thanks for the explanation.

Offline Mr Dispatcher

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 02:15:00 AM »
Just in case anyone noticed or sent in a Notice.. I had to reset my Internet router and the ATC.Net equipment tonight about 2200 PDT for about 50 minutes.. everything should be back up... We had a lot of Thunder Storms.. (Ts) last night and today.. may diversions and holdings.. hope everyone enjoyed.. it was quite a mess for ALL>. 

Dave can you give me posting access to this Forum as well? thanks///

Charlie Hotel

Offline 777lrf

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 07:11:10 PM »
Thanks for the expanded coverage at LAS! It is great to see ZLA back again at KLAS.

Just wondering why there are 2 tower feeds, both seem to show the same frequencies?

And if possible, can ZLA be a separate feed? The final approach frequency of 135.00 takes up most of the transmissions during busy times. Just a suggestion but could the final approach frequency be placed in another feed, like the emergency 121.50?

ZLA could add 135.55 freq instead of the 135.00
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 07:25:28 PM by 777lrf »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2015, 08:48:03 AM »
Thanks for the expanded coverage at LAS! It is great to see ZLA back again at KLAS.

Just wondering why there are 2 tower feeds, both seem to show the same frequencies?

And if possible, can ZLA be a separate feed? The final approach frequency of 135.00 takes up most of the transmissions during busy times. Just a suggestion but could the final approach frequency be placed in another feed, like the emergency 121.50?

One feed is a backup feed at another site. 

Thanks for the suggestions but right now we can't change the configuration.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 01:24:48 PM »

While I know it can't be changed, I'll just throw the question out there anyway. Is it possible to add Final to one of the other Approach/Departure feeds? I ask, because while I understand how they are set up, I can also see a single point of failure here. In short, if ZLA and final goes down, final is lost on the entire setup. At least with being able to add it to either the #1 or #2 Approach/Departure feed, there is a backup everyone could use.

BL.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2015, 01:31:42 PM »
While I know it can't be changed, I'll just throw the question out there anyway. Is it possible to add Final to one of the other Approach/Departure feeds? I ask, because while I understand how they are set up, I can also see a single point of failure here. In short, if ZLA and final goes down, final is lost on the entire setup. At least with being able to add it to either the #1 or #2 Approach/Departure feed, there is a backup everyone could use.

BL.

There's always a vulnerability somewhere.  :-)  We can't have the level of redundancy everywhere that we have in some locations. 

Part of the reason Final is not on the other Approach/Departure setup is that there is RF interference at the "other" location right on that frequency, preventing it from being added at all.  I have 35+ years of radio experience but sometimes interference issues simply can't be solved, for a variety of reasons.  I tried.

I would welcome working with anyone who can and would like to feed Final from a third location.  If we really need that level of redundancy then surely (and hopefully) someone will step up to help out.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2015, 01:37:39 PM »

BL.

There's always a vulnerability somewhere.  :-)  We can't have the level of redundancy everywhere that we have in some locations. 

Part of the reason Final is not on the other Approach/Departure setup is that there is RF interference at the "other" location right on that frequency, preventing it from being added at all.  I have 35+ years of radio experience but sometimes interference issues simply can't be solved, for a variety of reasons.  I tried.

I would welcome working with anyone who can and would like to feed Final from a third location.  If we really need that level of redundancy then surely (and hopefully) someone will step up to help out.

Thanks for the response, Dave. Appreciate it.

That definitely does answer a lot of questions about what is going on. That may also answer why the last time I was at the parking area there with my scanner that I couldn't pick up Final on my scanner, when I was clearly able to when I primarily lived there. I assumed it was because they moved the range that the frequency used, but also thought that it shouldn't have mattered as I had line of sight with not only the antenna being used, but the actual antennae of the TRACON as well, so I should have picked it up. This gives a bit more explanation. Thanks!

BL.

Offline 777lrf

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2015, 07:25:05 PM »

Thanks I understand. I do get greedy! Love this service and 135.55 seems to be the main ZLA freq