airtraffic

Author Topic: KEWR Feed - Opinions Sought  (Read 9215 times)

Offline jkaplan

KEWR Feed - Opinions Sought
« on: April 17, 2009, 12:51:17 PM »
All,

I have been doing some work on the reliability of the KEWR feed.   I would also appreciate feedback on the freqs that you feel would be most desired.

I depend on a gracious homeowner for my feedsite.  Not only does it provide a spectacular view of the Manhattan Skyline:  (http://www.newarktower.com), but is also a great reception point for ATC.  The downside is that his area is prone to power outages (as I am sure many people have noticed).

I want to be very conscientious about my upstream bandwidth use - which is why I originally put Approach on the left channel of the stereo feed and TWR and Depart on the right.   

Over the past few days, I have just been feeding the right side, and have seen a modest increase in my rankings.

What are your thoughts about dual-use stereo feeds in general? Too problematic/demanding for the user?

What are your thoughts about people's interest in the various Approach freqs to KEWR, for which only aircraft are heard?

Any polite feedback is appreaciated!

Thanks,
-Jonathan

Offline jkaplan

Re: KEWR Feed - Opinions Sought
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 12:53:36 PM »
Reposting to correct forum.  Sorry...

Offline cateyes_777

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 01:59:58 PM »
I would still like to hear the tower and pilots!

Offline ect76

• EGPH
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 12:35:57 AM »
I can fully understand why you would feed a stereo feed, but personally I find them a bit irritating. I'm not a novice with a computer by any means, but I have no idea where the balance left/right option is in Windows Media Player should you use that to listen. I would imagine this would put some of the less technology-minded off. If I'm listening to a stereo feed I listen in the Java player because it's glaringly obvious where the balance bar is. I personally prefer a feed where I can pick what I want and hear it clearly in both speakers, but I understand why that may not be an option for you.

It's largely a matter of personal preference though. Just my thoughts on the matter!

Offline Joseph Alexander

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 12:14:49 PM »
I believe more streams are the better option.  Difficulty selecting left and / or right should not be a reason to reduce the amount of information you so kindly gather and make available to us.  For goodness sake, the whole liveATC network involves selecting among the many possible streams, and the more the merrier.  Dave encourages all who can to increase the number of aerodromes and frequencies monitored.  It is the entire point of this site.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 09:08:54 PM »
The issue is one of resources.  It's obvious that the ideal setup is an infinite number of streams with a single frequency carried on each one.  Then reality intervenes...

- limited financial resources
- limited number of feeder sites and people willing to stream
- limited upstream bandwidth (in some cases, though this isn't typically an issue anymore)

I am not a big fan of left-right streaming.  It is not difficult to get two sound cards running in a computer.  Beyond two it can get complicated (if you have never done it you don't understand).  The Delta 1010LT 8-input sound card is an option for sites with multiple receivers.

I allow the left-right streaming because some feeders prefer it (typically don't want to run multiple sound cards) and that's OK.  But it is not ideal due to the number of devices people now use to listen to the LiveATC feeds (i.e., some of those devices don't make it easy or possible to get to the left-right slider).

Dave

Offline evilcuban

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 08:44:25 AM »
Well I have to say I really enjoy the EWR feed!  It's been an old standby of mine for years, and I recently picked it up again when it came back and was surprised to hear so many of the same voices.  Since you're seeking opinions, I tend to feel that the extra approach/departure frequencies on the left channel don't provide enough value for their "space" (however that works).  I find that the transmissions are considerably harder to hear both in volume and clarity.  Personally, I'd be much more interested in the ground frequency.

Ultimately, I would recommend:

• Clearing up the departure/approach frequencies
  • Consider implementing the ground frequency
  • Reduce congestion by moving to GND, TWR, DEP only
  • Improve extended downtime issues

edit:  love to hear EWR again soon! Any way we can fix the extended downtime issues that seem to arise?

Thanks again for the feed, it is really one of my favorites and has been for as long as I've been here!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 07:02:47 PM by evilcuban »