airtraffic

Author Topic: JFK Feeds down - DSL outage  (Read 24584 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
JFK Feeds down - DSL outage
« on: June 23, 2006, 02:01:09 AM »
Hopefully the DSL outage will be short-lived and the feeds will be back some time today.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Re: JFK Feeds down - DSL outage
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 06:16:19 PM »
Hopefully the DSL outage will be short-lived and the feeds will be back some time today.

Hey Dave,

It appears the feed(s) are back up, but I am unable to connect to them.  Any idea what the problem may be?

Regards,
Jason

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 04:37:11 AM »
They are running fine as of last night...bad weather issues all day yesterday affected DSL service in the local area.

Dave

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 02:01:43 PM »
I got nothin...  :?

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 03:11:17 PM »
Working fine for me. Although I notice the reception keeps cutting out momentarily, like for a second, every few seconds, on all the approach frequencies. Sounds similar to what happens when you have the priority function turned on ? DJ

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 04:15:23 PM »
Working fine for me. Although I notice the reception keeps cutting out momentarily, like for a second, every few seconds, on all the approach frequencies. Sounds similar to what happens when you have the priority function turned on ? DJ

There is no priority set on any of those receivers.  I'll have to take a listen but I wonder if it could be the interference we've been having.

Dave

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 04:22:49 PM »
I'll have to take a listen but I wonder if it could be the interference we've been having.

It's not the regular interference. Now on 127.400 I was hearing loud beeping and what sounded like a police or fire frequency, but just coming on intermittent and lasting a few seconds coinciding with the beeping sound. DJ

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 04:36:32 PM »
I'll have to take a listen but I wonder if it could be the interference we've been having.

It's not the regular interference. Now on 127.400 I was hearing loud beeping and what sounded like a police or fire frequency, but just coming on intermittent and lasting a few seconds coinciding with the beeping sound. DJ

I've been hearing the same thing that DJ described all day long.  It is happening on both CAMRN and ROBER, and possibly some other JFK feeds.  My dog heard it this morning and started barking which woke up the whole house, but I won't blame you, dave <g>.  :wink:

Jason

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 12:35:27 AM »
I remember when sean and I were testing my feed out he heard fdny over the feed...

I dont think we ever figured that one out  :?

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 11:30:06 AM »
I've been hearing it all morning on the ROBER feed... It sounds like someone's walkie talkie more than a police frequency.  Someone was talking about how they had to fix a flood and that some other guy was working on a project in Connecticut.

Jason

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 11:43:40 AM »
It sounds like someone's walkie talkie more than a police frequency.

Same thing on departure 135.900, you get the beeping which sounds like some sort of internal radio function (priority beep ?), and then I've heard what sounds like some guys doing maintenance on a golf course. DJ 

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 11:48:13 AM »
Well, as they say, cope with it.  :-)

The scanners are difficult to program and it can't be done remotely.  Something must have changed between when I left there and now.

We'll do what we can as time allows.  For now we just have to put up with the minor nuisance.

Dave

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 11:58:16 AM »
For now we just have to put up with the minor nuisance.

The occasional beeping isn't that bad, but the constant cutting out every few seconds makes the radios difficult to listen to. Oh well, standing by. (Another reason I really don't like BC350's). DJ

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 12:02:13 PM »
For now we just have to put up with the minor nuisance.

The occasional beeping isn't that bad, but the constant cutting out every few seconds makes the radios difficult to listen to. Oh well, standing by. (Another reason I really don't like BC350's). DJ

They're not BC350's, they're Pro-2051's.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 12:04:52 PM »
I do hear the microsecond cutout, which does indicate that priority got turned on somehow.  But your threshold for annoyance does seem rather low.  ;-)

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 05:57:48 PM »
I do hear the microsecond cutout, which does indicate that priority got turned on somehow.  But your threshold for annoyance does seem rather low.  ;-)

Want me to go over and have a look?  :wink: :wink: :wink:

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 12:20:47 PM »
It sounds like someone's walkie talkie more than a police frequency.

Same thing on departure 135.900, you get the beeping which sounds like some sort of internal radio function (priority beep ?), and then I've heard what sounds like some guys doing maintenance on a golf course. DJ 

I'm listening to JFK Departure and it's doing it again.  CAMRN and ROBER were doing something similar this morning as well.  Sounds just as you say, a priority beep and some sort of walkie-talkie or HAM frequency mixing in with the chatter of "New York Departure."

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 12:25:55 PM »
Yes, this needs to get fixed but I have no remote access to the scanner and the feeder is not going to be home for a couple of weeks.  The scanners in use there are fairly complex so even when he is there it will be a challenge to talk him through it over the phone.

Maybe we need a webcam there.  :-)

Dave

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 12:38:27 PM »
Yes, this needs to get fixed but I have no remote access to the scanner and the feeder is not going to be home for a couple of weeks.  The scanners in use there are fairly complex so even when he is there it will be a challenge to talk him through it over the phone.

Maybe we need a webcam there.  :-)

Dave

I completely understand...just wanted to document that the problem is ongoing and not some temporary interference as was previously suspected.

A webcam would be kinda neat.  :-D

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2006, 04:47:19 PM »
That would be cool if we put it on top of my house and we can watch airport movements  8-)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 08:22:21 AM »
The Approach/Departure receivers were "fixed" last night - the police transmissions and beeping are a thing of the past.  This affected almost all the approach and departure frequencies.

Dave