airtraffic

Author Topic: Atlantic Oceanic HF - U.S Receiver status  (Read 10322 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Atlantic Oceanic HF - U.S Receiver status
« on: December 23, 2008, 09:53:22 AM »
This feed (which I own and operate) is back on the air after a serious ice storm here in New England.  I had a failing hard drive in the machine feeding it - that drive has now been replaced and the very old machine upgraded to a more recent version of Linux.  This machine had been up almost continuously for about 10 years or so, only rebooting when power was lost.  It was old it was running Redhat 7.  Geez.

Reception on this feed may be a little impaired at the moment.  With HF propagation variances it is a bit hard to tell without extensive listening, but I suspect the pair of antennas attached to the receiver sustained at least minor damage in the ice storm due to falling trees.  Signals are generally weak at the moment.

We now have about 25 inches of snow on the ground leading to the woods but next chance I get I will snowblow a path back there and work on the antennas.

-dave

Offline CFD208

Re: Atlantic Oceanic HF - U.S Receiver status
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 01:06:58 PM »
Do you have any pictures of your antenna setup?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: Atlantic Oceanic HF - U.S Receiver status
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 01:10:47 PM »
I used to have a tower at my house, but I took that down last year.  So I have some old pictures, but they are not relevant now.  :-)

The current antennas are a low multiband (homemade) dipole antenna and a several hundred foot Beverage antenna.  Not that interesting to look at, and hard to photograph.

Thanks for asking, though!

-dave